Murray LawnMower - Problem

I bought a used Murray Hydrostatic Automotive Drive lawnmower. I've mowed my yard with it a few times and it's been great, then out of the blue, it won't start.
I turn the key and the it revs and the fan belt tunrs a half turn then stops. It does that about 3 or 4 times, then nothing but a click when I turn the key. It has gas and oil in it, so I know that's not the prob. Does anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Dead battery
Would the starter still click if it was a dead battery?
On 10 Aug 2005 20:25:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It could, My car did that.
Bad battery, high internal impedance.
Myself, I'd check the yellow pages for a repair outfit, but that's just me.

absolutely, thats a tell tale sign, replace or charge it, and your problem will go awway
That's a relief. I kind of had that in mind also. Thanks for yourhelp!
You were right, I went to walmart and bought a cheap battery charger for $20 and hooked it up to the battery for a few hours and it started like a new one.
Thanks!!
On 10 Aug 2005 20:25:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's not the starter clicking. It's the solenoid, or magnetic switch, that's cycling off and on because of low voltage.
Yep, worked like a charm. Charged the battery, then made the yard look like a baseball outfield:
http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/32545969-M.jpg