Moving cabbage trees.

I have to remove some cabbage trees that grew from seed in the wrong place.
Will they transplant? The roots will get damaged in moving them, as I can't cut a big circle.
Auckland, New Zealand, early Autumn.
g'day geopelia,
what is meant by cabbage trees lease?
do you have a more often used common term or botanical term?
a couple that come to mind for me are the dracaena aka dragon tree aka cabbage tree or the aussie fan palm aka cabbage tree palm?
wrote:
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

(snipped)
Cordyline australis. It is not a palm, though I think there is a palmetto also called cabbage tree. It is considered part of the lily family.
http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/C/CabbageTreeTi/CabbageTreeTi/en
too easy then geopelia,
trim all but the top growth off and cut a reasonable root ball nothing too large and replant where you wish, you are in nz? would suggest if it gets realy cold to do this late spring early summer maybe so that there is warmth in the ground for the new roots to start growing.
we did a fairly large specimen it had very little root ball on it and it thrived from day one. this one was over 2 meters tall and with around 4 trunks u to wrist thickness. this one never looked back.
wrote:
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

Thank you. Three of them have come up under our deck so they must go. I'd like to save them somewhere else in the garden. We don't get very cold here (Mairangi Bay NZ) The biggest is around two metres.
Geopelia
well i'd say go for it, and heavily mulch around them to insulate the soil and keep it that much warmer, they generally like some good watering after a transplant but be carefull you will need to judge.
wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

That's a great website! I'll save it.
We are much cooler here though, but have very few light frosts. I planted citrus and apple trees forty years ago, also artichokes and rhubarb which are still cropping. But with three very wet springs in a row, the vegetable garden is now full of grass and weeds, and the tomatoes failed this year.
"geopelia said, But with three very wet springs in a row, the vegetable garden is now full of grass and weeds, and the tomatoes failed this year."
do you use raised beds?
and does the growing position get good sun?
wrote:

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

We can't afford the to buy the timber for raised beds, or the compost etc to fill them, but I throw the earth up and leave small trenches. Apart from mid winter, it gets sun for most of the day ( if there is any sun!)
But the ground becomes too wet to work on after heavy rain, unless there are a few fine days in between. We need a couple of fine weeks in spring to get going, but we haven't had them for several years. The seasons seem to have slipped a bit.
I start the tomatoes in trays, but unless I can get them in the ground before December they don't do well.