Move Established Asparagus Bed?

Happy Spring, all -
Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new location and been successful in that venture? If so, do you have any tips & tricks to share?
We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed with and re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of about 100 crowns ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.
Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!
Jim

Oh Jim. Perhaps just cut your lose and run with new crowns, New beds are enough work and digging up the old would seem tedious unless your variety warrants it. We have Martha Washington in my dads garden. Cant think of a way out of this. Asparagus is a demanding vegetable but eating them raw as they show is pure pleasure.
Our bed was double dug and provided with excess nutrients.
You would have to be a tad crazy to transplant.....get help ;)) to do it!
Bill
--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/
Jim Johnston wrote:

I would think it's not a problem as long as they are still dormant.

USDA Zone 8b
Jim Johnston wrote:

If you've already sold your old home, the asparagus bed belongs to the buyers unless it was specifically excluded in the sales agreement. If that's the case, and the new owners don't want to give you their new asparagus bed, it doesn't matter how practical or impractical the transplanting would be. Depending on whether you take the asparagus before or after closing, you may find yourself guilty of theft and/or not meeting your contractual terms -- especially if the new owners were looking forward to their new asparagus!
When gardeners move, it can sometimes be heartbreaking to have to leave things behind. When something is planted in the ground, it becomes part of the real property. It's no longer is personal property. You need to think ahead, and put it in the listing that x, y and z will not be included in the sale, and then you have to also make sure that the offer from potential buyers includes that exclusion as well.
The new owners may not care. They may not even notice. But if they notice and care...
--
Warren H.

==========
Asparagus does not take very long to grow. So if you can't take your bed with you plant some seeds and you will have asparagus plants if not late this summer next spring Chuckie
Thanks to all who responded to my post. Opinions seem to be evenly divided as to the feasibility/sanity of my plan so I think it's only fitting that I try to (promptly) move half the bed and leave the other half for whomever buys our old place. Hopefully they'll be asparagus fanciers.
Jim

Hopefully they'll be asparagus fanciers.

Something to mention that has value.
Bill
--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/ we own two.

Or you could just take it all...especially if they are not asparagus lovers. I guess asking them is out of the question...? Gary