Most nutritious potatoes?

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.
Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?
(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned <g>).
HB
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Regardless the color if you pare away the skins essentially all the nutrition remaining is starch. And since other than starch potato nutrition is for the most part in the skin flesh color is meaningless.
On 7/27/2014 1:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

"A common misconception is that all of the potato’s nutrients are found in the skin. While the skin does contain approximately half of the total dietary fiber, the majority (> 50 percent) of the nutrients are found within the potato itself." http://www.coloradopotato.org/colorado_potato_facts_nutrition.php
And since other than starch potato

They indicate higher levels of carotenoids or flavonoids, though I have no idea if there'd ever be a meaningful amount in the flesh.
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Seems about right. Some definition of 'nutritious' would also be helpful. Is the one with the most vitamins and minerals, most starch or lowest GI the most nutritious?
--
David

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 2:41:21 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:

That's why I asked y'all if there was a parallel with green veg - supposedly the darker the better. Sounds like your answer is No. ?
re: potato peel, if most nutrition is in the skin -- you said rest of potato is largely starch -- most potatoes are HEAVILY treated (see link) and most pesticide ends up in the skin, is there any percentage in buying "organic"??
\http://rocketswag.com/gardening/Pesticide/What-Is-Potato-Plant-Pesticide.html
HB
On 28/07/2014 4:11 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I've never heard that before.

Of the purple spuds, the only ones I've grown are Purple Congo. They are superb in terms of floury delicousness. They are best IMO served if cooked by steaming and then serving up with just butter.
On Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:45:43 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:

(SFX) lips smacking.
I usually nuke potatoes/veggies in the micro with just a dash of water. Esp. with veggies, so I've heard, a lot of the vitamins, etc. good stuff, goes into the water & is thrown out.
Some people that cook a lot save the water; too much trouble pour moi; I'd just rather nuke in micro.
HB
On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:45:43 +1000, Fran Farmer

Do Pringles count? Did you know that the US consumes most spuds as dehys... ALL fast food fries and MOST restaurant fries, and ALL stupidmarket frozen fries are dehys, extruded. Most restaurant mashed are dehys, as are most mashed eaten at home... and now there are frozen mashed, becoming very popular in their many flavors, also dehys.
My favorite potato is red bliss, perfect for salads, stews/soups, and roasted (no need to pare but remove eyes). For baked in jackets only russets will do... never eat restaurant baked, they don't scrub them. I don't care for Yukon gold, they leave a sweet after taste. If I had to choose a favorite way to cook potatoes it's roasted; pare, slice in wedges, coat with vegetable oil, season with s n'p, pan roast at 375ºF for about an hour or until crisp and golden brown.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2cmodxt.jpg
If watching your weight this is dangerous as you won't be able to stop eating: http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes/sides/potatonik.html
Higgs Boson said:

Yes, pretty much the rule of thumb with fruits and vegetables is more color, more nutrients.
There are red-fleshed potatoes that might be nearly as nutritious as the purple.

Steam or microwave, sear them in a cast iron skillet with a little oil of your choice along with some garlic and herbs, then pop the skillet in the oven to brown them. I assure you, you won't be thinking about the color when you eat them!
Add some cubed, steamed sweet potatoes to the mix and you will *really* have a phytonutrient celebration.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 29/07/2014 12:03 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Tonight one of our veg dishes is going to be Colcannon - a traditional favourite.
Fran Farmer wrote:

I like that simple potato and cabbage dish too. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/colcannon/
I also like this very similar dish: http://www.food.com/recipe/noodles-cabbage-and-onions-halushki-179227
I think every ethnicity has their version of these quick one pot dishes. I like to make these a full one dish meal by adding some left over cooked meat, chicken, ham, smoked sausage/kielbasa works well. I grow lots of cabbages, my next door neighbor grows potatoes... we swap. This year I also planted lots of kale which can be substituted for cabbage. I planted lots of Swiss chard too, I think it's better than spinach and much easier to harvest and clean.
On 30/07/2014 2:17 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

That really does sound tasty.

I really like kale and I prefer grow silver beet/chard over spinach. I can feed the silver beet to us or to the chooks and spinach runs to seed here too fast whereas silver beet can be harvested for a full year here.