Mosquitos

Mosquitos seem a bit of a menace here, I'm used to them in Cape Town, but the ones here seem to leave nasty and painful bites - maybe I am being attacked by sand flies, I wouldn't know how to tell the difference. Anyway, I have recently read that citronella has no effect on mosquitos (

) this is a pity as I'd a half-formed plan to plant citronella bushes (or trees, or whatever it comes from) around the property to keep dogs, cats and mosquitos away. DEET seems the only chemical answer and that isn't very nice to spray around if you get hay-fever.

I found another mosquito trap at (

) but you have to order in quantities of 300 which, though a sure way of making sure that absolutely no mosquitos bother you might be a trifle expensive.

I've also read of a thing called a 'Mosquito Magnet', but I haven't found a source and it seems that it is expensive.

I also haven't found a local source for the 'Mosquito Eater' (

), and would also like to know if anybody has had satisfaction from this as it looks a bit cheaper.

So, reminded of a Dutch study that showed that smelly feet attracted mosquitos and gorgonzola was a good substitute, I wondered if a mosquito trap would be a good idea instead. I found such a trap (

), but it is a terrible price! So I wondered if anybody had found or made a cheaper model.

As I see it, all you need is a slow release of CO2, a source of heat at about 37C, maybe some gorgonzola and then a high tension grid (as you find in the blue-light fly zappers) and you'll have them queuing up to be executed. I don't mention sound since it seems that sonic traps don't work at all.

Any suggestions for other sources, instructions on how to build one, or directions to a builder of this sort of thing in Auckland?

If anybody has tried all of the above and found that none of them work I'd also be interested to hear - it might save a fortune!

Reply to
Peter H.M. Brooks

Bobs

More likely mozzies, sandflies are rare in town. Sandflies are smaller, compact, short legs, like big midges. You feel a sharp nip when they bite you, whereas you don't feel mosquito bites at the time but they swell & itch afterwards.

You will probably find that the bites bother you less as you build up tolerance to the local variety.

The traditional mosquito-prevention method is to eliminate stagnant water, or if that's not possible, pour a bit of kerosene on the surface to keep the larvae from emerging. Not much use if you can't get your neighbours to do likewise, and also not feasible if you live near bush. I've heard they can also breed inside bamboo canes and suchlike.

Screens on the windows. Wearing long-sleeved shirt and long pants, with mozzie repellent on your exposed bits (I use Repel brand). Bobs' recommendation, or burn mosquito coils (from your local Chinese supermarket or tramping/camping shop).

Reply to
Sue Bilstein

Peter H.M. Brooks took the time to write...:

Try ANTI-MAL, a free PC program that emits a very high (supposedly inaudible) tone that is variable to repel the little buggers...

billy_bunter

We have at least 4 different kinds of mosquitoes. One kind will bite while standing in the sun during midday, which many mosquitoes won't do. Avoid eating bananas, use DEET (Deep Woods Off is very good), light-colored clothing, empty all stagnant water including gutters, encourage bird houses, have a well-stocked fish pond (minnows & goldfish love to eat mosquito larvae!). Not sure about eating garlic pills, although I do anyway for other reasons. If the DEET sprays bother you, there are lotions that work well applied to the skin. HTH

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes, I've got one of those and I have been using it, it appears to reduce, but not eliminate, the mosquito problem - hence my thoughts about traps.

Reply to
Peter H.M. Brooks

I gather, from research I have read, that ultrasound doesn't bother mosquitos, nor, for that matter, mice, rats or moles. I remember reading about that program, I doubt it would work as most speakers are designed to produce sound that is in the audible range so won't do very well in the inaudible range - and, as you are suggesting, there are likely to be audible harmonics.

Reply to
Peter H.M. Brooks

Peter -- You should do a search on Google's Usenet archives for "mosquito" -- there's been plenty of discussions on these over the last few years here. Irritatingly enough, I no longer have my own posts -- when I reinstalled my system that was the one folder I did not carry over.

Mosquito bites can be quite painful depending on the species of skeeter. We have some tiger striped buggers here in SW Ohio (USA) that are out all day and night, and let me tell ya -- when they bite you it's like getting bitten by a bloody horse fly.

There are a number of devices out there to combat mosquito problems. I've focused on two -- the Mosquito Magnet line and the Mosquito Deleto.

The concepts are basically the same -- create heat and carbon dioxide, couple it with octenol, then capture the mosquitoes. The Mosquito Magnet uses a vacuum whereas the Mosquito Deleto uses the rough equivalent of fly paper.

Since I don't have the bucks to get a Mosquito Magnet (although it would have been my first pick) I went with a Mosquito Deleto. To date the performance has been impressive. New units cost around $150.

We had not gotten around to picking up a canister of propane this year until late in the season. Any time we took a step in the back yard we were instantly under attack. We hooked up the Mosquito Deleto and I was bitten only a handful of times afterwards. The one thing commonly noted about this device though is that there are never any mosquitoes on the sticky paper. I don't know where they get all those skeeters in the commercials, but I never see any on there. I had a garter snake get on there once though. :) More oft than not, the mosquitos dessicate and there's just nothing left of them.

Simple fact of the matter -- without that thing going we're eaten alive, with it running they leave us alone. That's good enough for me.

Coleman also makes a Mosquito Inibitor. This gives off a citrousy scent and uses little foam inserts soaked in an oil repellant. FWIW, these things are great for patios to drive away any others -- we have one in the front yard and never get bitten when we have it out. Only down side is that the cost of refills is nearly the same as the whole unit.

The Mosquito Magnet uses the same basic concepts as the Mosquito Deleto but instead of the sticky paper it has a vacuum with a sucker right near the octenol attractant. Mosquitoes check in but they don't check out -- as they fly up to the device, they're sucked in and dropped into a bag that is attached to the unit. The company makes several models ranging in price from about $300 to over $1000 (all USD). These puppies are widely reviewed and very well considered. Effective ranges are 1/4 acre to a full acre.

FWIW, I've also a measure of success with the Off Lamps in small, relatively enclosed areas (such as the front yard which is surrounded on 3 sides and sits far back from the road). These cost about 15-20 bucks, give or take.

Coleman's website has info on the Mosquito Deleto at

and you can buy online there as well home improvement stores. The Mosquito Magnet can be found at
and are widely available at home improvement stores like Home Depot, Sears, and Target even.

Lastly, there are a number of sprays manufactured that you simply attach a hose to the sprayer then treat your yard/patio areas. One uses Cedar oil while the other uses Garlic extract. The latter is called Mosquito Barrier

and runs $22.45 for a quart and is purported to cover about an acre ($84.95 for a gallon which covers 5 acres). So far, the only place I've found this one available was online at their web site. (There's another "Mosquito Barrier" product marketed by Victor Pest, but it is nowhere near as concentrated although it's equally difficult to find). The other, Cedarcide
is the one I went with -- I found it locally at a garden supply store (couple, actually) and it was less expensive for more. Cedarcide worked pretty well -- I hooked my hose to the sprayer, sprayed all about the house, and the skeeters stayed away. These treatments will wear off after a couple of good rains but in the interim they do very well and do not involve any mess or bad odors. One thing I really like about them is that I can spray the house (around windows and doors for example) and the buggies stay outside.

So that's how I combat the bloody things. It works too -- we only get a few bites each month compared to many more withot them.

James

Reply to
JNJ

We have both cold weather and hot weather species and many kinds of each. They're attracted by CO2, dark colors, people who are allergic to them give off a scent that attracts them I think, along with the neon sign above the head flashing FREE FOOD. From my experience citronella candles do work and one of the best things I have found is an electric fan. Around here they carry West Nile and Louisiana Encephilitis.

And the smell of Off brings back many childhood memories :)

Reply to
Shell

The research seems pretty convincing regarding the inefficacy of citronella. Maybe there is some placebo effect at work here or maybe New Zealand species of mosquito react differently from those examined in the study.

More research seems to be indicated.

Reply to
Peter H.M. Brooks

There once was a lass named Estrella, One summer's night went with a fella, "Stick close tonight, for the mosquitoes they bite, and you smell just like citronella!"

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Hmmmm maybe its the smoke given off by the burning candle?

Shell

Reply to
Shell

Look out for bears too :) saw a syudy where citronella is like putting out a free lunch sign for bears

Shell

Reply to
Shell

snipped-for-privacy@psyche.demon.co.uk (Peter H.M. Brooks) writes in article dated 22 Dec 2003 19:29:02

-0800:

The study you cite measured the effect of using various products on a person's skin to keep mosquitos from biting, not filling a yard with it to keep them out of the area completely. The results may not apply.

Citronella is a grass.

spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo