Re: @#*%!^ mosquitos

Heidi wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net:

Any good ideas out there for controlling mosquitos? We have not been > outside to enjoy our garden near as much as I would like b/c of those > tiny pests. Our yard is not conducive for bats, sparrows, or other > mosquito eating friends (trees too close together to offer a nice flight > pattern). We do not have any standing water--no bird baths, etc.. > Because we have pets, I am not keen on spraying insecticides. > > I am wondering: > > if I placed a pool of water to the side of the house, where we don't > congregate very often, and drop in one of those mosquito pellets into > the water, would the water attract and destroy the enemy? Or would > brining in standing water, only serve in the same way as those Japanese > Beetle traps, it would just attract more bugs to the yard. > > Any other ideas??? > > Thanks in advance! > Heidi > >

As long as the water is stagnant (not moving) and there is something for the mosquito larvae to eat (plant matter at the least) mommy mosquito and her friends are going to find it. When I have buckets of rain water out, there are never any mosquito larvae in the clear water, but usually plenty where the water is dirty and/or have bits of plants in the water.

Have you thought about planting lemongrass? I don't know if it's a mosquito control, but I had a couple of roots in a cut open milk jug once and found several dead mosquitos in the puddle after it rained. I had used Bt mosquito dunks the year before (though I don't know if those work on adults) but I don't think they were ever in contact with the lemongrass or jug.

- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I just emptied my rain barrel, and there were mosquito larvae by the tens of thousands (teaches me to be a laggard). I also mow quite high, which helps them (but I have a decent looking lawn without any care). I suppose a couple of minnows from the bait shop, placed in the barrel, would take care of them ... I may try it next year.

Reply to
simy1

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

When I was a kid, I heard that applying a thin layer of oil to the surface of the water would cause the mosquito larvae to suffocate. I haven't heard the same recently, so maybe it's bad advice.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

They all become dead (and our water loses its filter) when we run around draining all the wetland. West Nile affects just the birds in that group. Funny think Ingrid, I don't consider myself an environmentalist in the more recent sense of the word, but this trend drives me crazy.

Bill C.

Reply to
Bill C.

West Nile virus is carried by mosquitoes and affects many species, incl. humans. It can be fatal. This isn't (much) justification for wholesale pesticide spraying or (has anyone actually suggested this?!) draining all wetlands, but it is *not* an inconsequential problem. I live in a wetland-rich (read "damp") area where mosquitoes are a perennial problem and widespread aerial spraying is done every year. The spraying schedule is announced ahead of time, and beekeepers are advised when to protect their hives. I guess butterflies just have to listen to the news and dive under a leaf. West Nile has been ID'd here, as well as many cases of Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which also (rarely) affects humans. Like so many of life's problems, there are few simple solutions.

Reply to
Frogleg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I stand corrected.

Bill C.

Reply to
Bill C.

Frogleg:

Draining of all wetlands, probably not, but there is a real trend to drain "swamps" around human habitation because of West Nile. The problem is it's an infectious disease that can spread, so control is an issue, but I do think we lose perspective on this type of issue and that leads to bad decisions for people and wildlife. For example 284 people died in the US last year due to WNV, not inconsequential. But by comparison 76 million Americans suffer from food poisoning each year and over 5,200 die. The odds of any one of us dying from heart attack, cancer or stroke are about 60% (greater than 1.4 million Americans per year). (Stats. from the CDC website). I appreciate your concern. My point is let's not lose our ability to enjoy the things that are invaluable--like our gardens, the outdoors--because of something that is far less likely to affect us than many many things that never make the news; and lets use due caution in our approach, because the solutions can be worse than the problem we are trying to solve, and just as dangerous in the long run.

You're right, there are few simple solutions.

Reply to
Bill C.

Dear Heidi, The fact that you have so many trees close together gives those mosquitos plenty of shelter to hide through the day. Some trees are really popular to them. When you stir them with your hands a cloud of mosquitos will come out. Maybe that's your problem. Try if your trees are hide-outs for these pests. If so, than I think it's best to remove some of them. (e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hetnet.nl)

Reply to
Erik Kleine

Two Louisiana mosquitos killed a deer. One said, "Let's take it back to the nest where we can eat it in a civilized way." The other said, "Hell, no! The big ones will just take it away from us." zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
J. Lane