More problems - slugs

Wild Billy told be about ScienceLab.com where I purchased 500 g of Ferric Phosphate for about $60. Since slugo etc has 1% active ingredient I thought I would make my own.
I dissolve a little Ferric Phosphate in acid. Acid I use is Coke a Cola. Mix in some stale bread and water and blend it in an old blender. Let it dry and grind in a food processor. All eye ball. I used to measure to 5 places so I got a hint.
Note It took about a year for Sciencelab.com to send me my purchase. It Works however.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
On 5/23/2010 12:19 PM, Bill who putters wrote:

I just sprinkled some of the stuff I got at the garden center. I don't think I had to repeat the application, since I waited til the monsoons passed.
Susan

The beer works great. The dish needs to be shallow enough for them to get into. They are attracted to the beer, get into the dish and then cannot get out and drown. You'll be amazed at how many you'll find. Each day, there will be fewer and fewer. When I had this problem, I used several dishes. It only took about 3-4 days until they were all gone. HTH
Gloria

Sometimes you can just put down a board in the garden, raised a bit off of the ground, and the next day you will find your snails and slugs on the underside of the board. Keep a tab on the amount of beer that your gastropods are going through. Iron (ferris) phosphate is pretty much only poisonous to gastropods (not kitty cats, puppies, or rug rats) but it is a little pricey, $25/2.5 lbs from Sluggo and $25/5 lbs from Ecosense (Ortho). I used to have herds of gastropods grazing my garden at night, now it is the occasional one in spots that I over looked. There are still plenty of snails and slugs in my yard, just not in my garden. The pellets are water resistant and last about 2 weeks. The best part is that I don't have to do anymore nighttime patrols with my flashlight.
--
- Billy

I have tried beer traps a dozen times. It did not do squat. Tried yeast water, same deal. The commercial baits did the trick though. We have clugs anywhere from 1/4" to 3" long (called "banana slugs"). They can crawl up plastic siding 20 feet to a balcany at night. Supposedly, winter freezing helps kill the eggs. Ducks are ideal for slug control. Who knows, maybe one product/method works better than another, depending on location.

They can go dormant for up to 4 years. I hope the bait that you are using is "Iron Phosphate". Don't think I'll be having snail and slug problems for a few years. Avg. days of precipitation here in May is 4, and we are into 12 at present, waking to thunder and heavy rain. I doubt that there is a dormant slug or snail for a 100 mi. Most in my yard are dead. Did have some regrets though. There looked to be a family of snails out cruising the garden yesterday. Looked like a mommy, and a daddy, and a couple of adolescents. They looked sooo cuuuute, . . . until I stomped 'em. Next time, I think I'll put them in my neighbor's yard ;O)
--
- Billy

Yes, and where is your yard?

--