Miracle-Gro Shake n' Feed v. Super Thrive

I found some of this in my kitchen from years ago and wonder if I should bother using it on my indoor 6.5' ficus tree, Dracaena, or outdoor creeping figs on the balcony.

Ingredients are (copied from bottle): Nitrogen... 10% 10% ammoniacal Nitrogen Available Phosphate... 10% Soluble Potash... 10% Sulfer... 20%

I have been mixing a few drops (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) of "Super Thrive" into the water whenever I water them now.

Thanks

Reply to
JayDee

NPK are primary nutrients. Sulfur is a secondary, along with iron, magnesium, and calcium. MG supplies everything, including micronutrients, except magnesium, for some odd reason. Supplement with dolomite at planting time -- mix into the soil with your other ammendments, and let it sit for a week before use. Epsom salts (1 tsp / gallon water) can be used to treat Mg deficiency. Deficiency shows on older leaves as yellow patches between veins rapidly spreading, with brown spots of dead tissue. Nitrogen deficient leaves (older leaves first) simply turn yellow with few or no spots or lesions.

As for Superthrive, it's a mix mostly of auxins and B vitamins. I've tried it, and haven't seen it do anything.

Reply to
Father Haskell

You're preaching to the converted. My (current) favorite plant food is PlantTone, supplemented with vermicompost, for the reasons you cited.

Reply to
Father Haskell