Memorial tree plant

Hi, This is a bit of an odd question I suppose but I have a really small patio / courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog died. We will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them in a massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.
Any advice as to which trees would work well? I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that wont really grow above a metre and a half in height.
I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?
I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about gardening and hoped that someone out there could help me?
Thanks
Rach

Elegant, simple and very natural.

Sorry to hear about your dog - they leave quite a void, don't they?
There are many beautiful small Japanese maples that do very well in pots all year round - small serrated leaves in summer, beautiful autumn colour. Once the tree has settled down you could add small spring bulbs around it if the pot is big enough. It sounds just the thing for a courtyard garden.
Klara
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

says... <Hi, <This is a bit of an odd question I suppose but I have a really small patio / <courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog died.
< My condolances. I just lost my Little Bear a month ago myself.
<We <will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them in a <massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.
Not to cause you any more grief, but you might want to check your local ordinances. Around here, you are not legally permitted to bury a pet in your yard; even if cremated.
I'll still be putting a memorial out next to one of our trees. I have a Dapple Dandy Pluot for Rusty < gone a year and a half now > and a Flavor King Pluot for Little Bear. I have a Flavor Queen Pluot for Pussface who is getting on in years. Kodiak will get the Flavor Delight Aprium for his tree when he goes.
I have other trees that will be dedicated to my future pets until it's my time to go. Since it's illegal to bury the pets here, not to mention the next owner of this place might just tear out the trees/memorials for whatever reason, and I couldn't bear the thought of my pets remains being tossed in the trash, it's stipulated in my will that all my pets remains are to be buried with me. They are presently in urns on the mantel. Little Bear's urn:
http://www.angelashes.com/products/oe/oe_phf_1.php #
it's the large, hand painted, picture frame model.
<Any advice as to which trees would work well?
It would help to know your local climate/area.
<I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will <not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that wont <really grow above a metre and a half in height.
Given any thought to a shrub?
<I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree? < <I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about gardening <and hoped that someone out there could help me?
The question gets asked occaisionally. With some more information, this group should be able to give you some pointers.
Things to think about: Evergreen or deciduous?
High maintenence or low maintenence? I consider roses high maintenence because of disease and insect problems. OTOH, nothing is maintenence free. Even silk flowers and plastic plants have to be dusted.
Fruit or no fruit?
Flowering < large flowers > non-flowering < or small flowers >?
Scents of any kind: from flowers, leaves, bark
Will a 'messy' tree/shrub be a problem? fruit/leaf litter
Are there any local regulations to comply with < zoning ordinances, health, association covenants >?
Will the tree/shrub get the same amount of sun < how many hours a day is a lot of sun? > during it's lifetime? Or are there trees nearby which will grow to cut off it's sunlight?
What kind of water can you give it?
What kind of soil do you have?
I know these are a lot of questions to ask somebody who knows little about gardening but they need to be addressed if what ever you plant is to do well and live a long time.
Maybe a gardening neighbor can help you with some of these, or a local agriculture office.
Some places that may be of help:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/Business_and_Econo my/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Trees,_Shrubs_and_Hedging/
or http://tinyurl.com/3cpdw <same as above, only shorter >
< <Thanks < <Rach < <
Again, my condolances on your loss.
        Bill

Try Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum It makes a very gradely miniature tree about a metre high in 15 years, with beautiful red foliage

Franz
you can plant almost anything you want in a pot Even a pet I'd use a miniature fruit tree or bush like a very small black sweet cherry or try a dog wood pretty and i trained one to a very large pot it has to be a big one but you can do it and just wrap the pot in the winter and leave it out side the fruit is nice and every time you get a crop you can think about your friend I planted wild floweres over my pet and every time I pick them i think about him and it feels nice. it's nice that you want to remember your pet they often become part of the family and lots of people just forget about them good luck with your effort. in a big enough pot you can do just about any thing just make sure when your at the nursery you pick the pot first and then find what fits with some advice from the nursery person they often will have books to help you and or information about watering pruning which is important for a potted tree. sorry you lost your dog but this is a nice way to feel he is still sort of with you . michelle On Tue, 4 May 2004 07:31:15 +0100, "Rach"

There are some very attractive willows grafted at about 5' to weep with splendid catkins. They remain totally controllable. Regards and Best Wishes.