Looking for ideas to replace tree

In the front of my yard, to the left of my house, I have a dead, crimson maple. I need to replace this tree but not sure what would be the best choice.
I live in a ranch house (1 story) according to the landscape book that I own I should look for a medium sized tree. I do have sugar maples planted in the back yard flanking the house. The book states to place tallest in the back then medium on the sides and small at the corners in the front. Which what I have but now 1 is dead.
The tree died because (I think) poor soil (heavy clay), Japanese Beetles, and poor planting.
This maple came with the house, I am the second owner. I did fertilize and watered it often but last summer the beetle just ate the heck out of it, I hate spraying up, but did have several beetle bags which helped but not enough.
Any ideas on what kind of tree to replace it with? What about a flowering cherry?
higgledy wrote:

Zelkovia Serrata Ulmus Parvifolia Quercus Shumardii
I dunno, probably lots of others.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

A little more information would be useful: location, sun amount, city/country, soil pH (or at least basic or acidic)....