Levelling a garden

Page 2 of 2
khevlan wrote:

If it's going to be a poured concrete patio, I would NEVER want it to be level. The reason. I don't care how carefull you are at leveling the surface, there will always be a dip some where that will have standing water. I'd be more concerned about renting a tamping machine and compacting that loose soil and then putting up the boards for the forms with center high sloping 2 ways or high in the center sloping 4 ways.
If it's going to be patio blocks or tiles, still compact the soil and cover with a bed of sand/rock mix to place the tile on so it will drain.
Tom J
khevlan wrote:

I did a few last year.
First dig up soil from the high end and dump it in the low end. Soften up the soil a bit all around.
Get a level and a long board. Put the level on the board and pull the board across keeping the board level. You'll have some spots that will need filling, and some spots that need more digging.
Repeat until satisfied. You may need to break up the work into sections and work your way across.
Worked for me.
Jeff
I have read