Leggy dracaena

I have a leggy dracaena (I think it is a dracaena deremensis) with about 7 stalks. The stalks are from 12 to 18 inches. The plant is about 6 years old and the soil is worn out. What is the procedure for starting new plants?
I have six dracaena out of a single one. I do not know the name, but it is the one with dark green leaves and grassy trunk. The original plant is still in its pot, with two of its daughters. when they become too tall (6ft) I chop them half way and plant the top in the same or different pot right away, all the way so that it touches the bottom of the pot. The stump grows new shoots near the top. Amazing that such large, leafed cuttings root so promptly.
I usually do this in May when I put them out in the open shade of my front yard. To replenish the soil, every May I give them a couple of inches of compost, as top dressing, and some earthworms to mix it all in. This way the soil is never spent or compacted. If there are no new plants in the pot, I may also give them one tbsp of urea, wood ash and/or or 10-10-10.