lawn winterize

Page 2 of 3
Harry K wrote:

http://www.milkyspore.com /
I've been trying to move my customers towards organic methods. triple shred, putting leaves through the shredder three times produces some dense mulch. with the new and deeper understanding acquired recently for how many of the selective herbicides and insecticides as well as improper or incorrect applications of nitrogen actually have a great negative impact on the environment as well as the ground water, I've decided it is now time to make some changes concerning how the suburbanites acquire and obtain the lawns they desire.
in short, if the chemical bonds with the soil at the molecular particle level then that chemical is removed from my list of what is acceptable to use. the list is getting short.
Jim
Jim wrote:

needs it or not. I ain't raking no leaves or riding or pushing a lawn mower even if you pay me gold standard to do it.. The birds love the thistles that grow in the back yard. I've found that you don't need bird feeders to attract them, just let the natural flora grow up and the birds will flock to it to get the seeds and nectar (humming birds love phlox and other sweet smelling flowers.. The birds planted mulberry trees and currant bushes and black raspberries all over the property around the edges of our woods..They have done more to benefit the property and myself(I love berry jam) than any stinkin' lawnmower would.I don't use herbicide or pesticide on anything. It's not nice to poison plants and animals. I do live on a farm, and don't worry about what my neighbors think of my lack of grass cutting.. The leaves rot down and disintegrate by themselves under the trees. The wells out here in farm country tend to wind up contaminated by the over zealous application of herbicide and pesticide, and I for one don't want to add that crap to the water I pull up out of the ground that I have to drink. Quite a few of the private wells out here are contaminated with Alachor/ the breakdown product of the Herbicide Lasso. It is carcinogenic and once it is in the groundwater it takes a long time to dissipate..
Grizzly wrote:

I'm glad you understand all this stuff. spread the word so others can also begin the slow and long process of gaining an understanding.
Good Job Grizzly!
peace be with you, Jim

Hi, I'm new to the group, but thought I'd jump in and give my 2 cents worth. I'm right there with you, Grizzly. In fact, I had to laugh at my brother-in-law who just moved out here. He thought it was important to mow and rake all 15 acres of my place. I tried to explain the bush hog twice a year concept, but he was proud of the nice looking "lawn." I tried to explain the difference between a "lawn" and a "pasture," but he didn't get that either. I told him he was probably the laughing stock of the community. Everyone was saying, "look at that crazy California city boy out there push mowing the pasture, raking, and wheelbarrowing it down to the burn pit!" Now, I drew the line when he tried to make the teenage boys help him rake in the 100+ degree, 60% humidity Arkansas summer heat wave. If he wanted to suffer from heat stroke, more power to him. But, the kids weren't going to rake that up. It could stay where it was.
cheree wrote:

I always enjoy a good city boy moved to the country story. thank you for this one.
<g>

What difference does it make if any particular chemical bonds with the soil at the molecular level as opposed to just going straight on to the ground water or into lakes, streams via runoff? I'm not even aware that chemicals are made to molecularly bond to soil to begin with.

The ions from chemical fertilizer salts, can be slowed down considerably as they pass through your soil, by clay. Good garden soil is about 20% - 30% clay. Problem is that these fertilizer salts can harm/kill the micro flora and fauna in soil. A healthy, diversified population of micro-organisms will give you a healthy lawn if you feed them with compost. There is more to it but that is the gist.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Billy wrote:

organic!

In a word, yes.
My point should have been that the binding of chem ferts (salts) in the soil is inadvertent and wasn't planed by Monsanto, Dow, et al.. If you have diversified micro-organisms growing in your soil, they take up nitrogen compounds (NH4+ and NO3-) during their life cycles and release it to plants when they die. A little fish emulsion or manure from time to time should be sufficient. Otherwise the breakdown of carbohydrates from from lawn clippings or compost will keep the micro-organisms happy and fed.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

trader4 wrote:

it's not that the chemicals were made to bond with the soil, it is that they do. as for run off, there are proper precautions one can take to minimize run off the simplest of which is to adhere to the proper applications rates. when chemicals such as herbicides are applied within the correct rate the vast majority of the chemical is taken up by the target plants and never achieves run off status.
most people have no idea of how to calibrate an application device so as to know their exact output. they have not sought the training and therefore have no understanding for distance, time, pressure or volume.
it was a good decision when the full strength chemicals were placed out of reach of joe home owner...
organic is the total solution to the problem... http://www.milkyspore.com /
Jim wrote:

Hold on. Thong swimsuits aren't stupid. They might be stupid on you, but they're not stupid here: http://www.microkitten.com /
Rudy Canoza wrote:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy...
Jim wrote:

Good piece! Seriously, I don't want waist high grass and weeds right up close to the house, so we just mow the weeds couple times a month three inches high with a mulching mower. Eventually, the area becomes a lawn, as the goldenrod doesn't like being cut short, only plants that prefer being three inches high survive.
--
Remove the TOS star ship captain to reply privately.

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]
BR said:
[...]

And, we all know there are no weeds with a growth habit of under three inches. *rolls eyes*
Eventually, from /only/ mowing "a couple times a month" the area doesn't "become a lawn", it becomes a patch of three inch high weeds.
--

Eggs

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?

Followups reset. Why do you keep trying to redirect? There are people in rec.gardens who are interested as well.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

No they weren't. You only partially reset them. So, do you have a double standard about crossposts? You only want them crossposted to where *you* frequent?

I have no interest in misc.rural [1] and I don't read rec.gardens on a regular basis, but in the future should both a.h.l.g. and r.g. be in the crossposted message, *and* my reply is relevant [2] to both groups, tho I detest crossposts, I'll leave them. Fair enough?
[1]. Which you didn't reset. And, which is apparently where the post I replied to originated, unless it was a post by a nym-shifter. I've little time to do that in-depth of a search to know if it was a nym-shifter, tho I doubt it was.
[2] I replied to only a part of BR's post dealing with "lawn", which I felt was more relevant to a.h.l.g.
Make sense? =)
--

Eggs

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man

NO, it was late and I didn't notice the other.

anything.
Not really. There are many in rec.gardens participating in this thread, and interested. I only snip when it's a troll post and I know a post about roses shoudln't go to say, alt.repair.toyota. Other than that, when a conversation is going in and out of three or four newsgroups and everyone seems to be participating I leave it alone.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

Yet, you /still/ didn't restore the missing group. Your excuse this time would be that it was too early?

Well, it is, and that's the way it'll be. I'll be the one to choose what, when, and where I post. I snipped what was irrelevant to my reply, and my reply was more relevant to a.h.l.g., so that's where the flup went.

Again, I'll post as I see fit, in accordance with subject matter to which I'm replying.

And, my post went to all of the groups, but the flup was set to the group that was most relevant. If they choose to reply to the sub-thread, they can do so, or not. The name of the group is *not* rec.lawn.garden. The sub-thread had *nothing* to do with gardens. My flup went where it should.

That's *you*, not me. I choose to post to the more appropriate group.
--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.

Do what you want. I'm not the only one who restored the followups you set. I'll just do as I please from now on, also.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

Sure you are. Only four people have replied to this sub-thread: You, BR, Steveo, and myself. BR and Steveo both left the flup as I set it. I have no hard-kills set for this group. Who else does do you see that restored the groups? Noone. So, it seems that only *you* have a problem with it.

That's as it should be. =)
--

Eggs

-Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.