Killing redbuds? ? ?

We have a weed which is almost a tree. My wife thinks it is called redbud. The trunk is tube-type, almost like bamboo, but the leaves look almost like a maple leaf.

We cut it back, but it always comes back stronger. Standard weed-killers don't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas about how to kill this monster, we'd like to hear them.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Not sure what the plant is, nor where it is growing (state) as this impinges on herbicide use and availability....but...try Crossbow or another 2,4-D based material if legal for use in tour area.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Redbuds have heart shaped leaves.

Reply to
escapee

The tube-like stem sounds very much like Japanese knotweed, Polygonum cuspidatum, although the leaves a more spade shaped than maple-like in appearance. Will generate groves and produces foamy white flowers. This is a serious noxious weed in many parts of the country. Do a google search under the common name - you will turn up dozens of sites addressing this invasive species and suggested methods of control. Not an easy plant to get a handle on, tho.

FWIW, redbud is the common name for a rather desirable small ornamental tree, Cercis species and cultivars. Solid woody truck and stems and hot pink flowers in early spring before it leafs out. Not typically considered a weed by most authorities :-))

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Reply to
Brian

pernicious weed

Roundup and

makes

called redbud.

look almost

weed-killers

like to hear

Could be Giant Hogweed? Are you anywhere near a river or watercourse?

-- Gerry

... for responsible gardening

Reply to
Gerry

And *very* easy to kill.

Reply to
Frogleg

How do I kill it?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Reply to
Brian

I should have quoted all of Pam's msg. Your problem is not with Cercis canadensis (Eastern redbud), which is susceptible to several tree-killing diseases. Mine was the most expensive item in a landscaping plan, and just got sicker and sicker until it died. Even the ag college couldn't diagnose its problem.

Reply to
Frogleg