Killing redbuds? ? ?

We have a weed which is almost a tree. My wife thinks it is called redbud. The trunk is tube-type, almost like bamboo, but the leaves look almost like a maple leaf.
We cut it back, but it always comes back stronger. Standard weed-killers don't seem to work.
If anyone has any ideas about how to kill this monster, we'd like to hear them.
Not sure what the plant is, nor where it is growing (state) as this impinges on herbicide use and availability....but...try Crossbow or another 2,4-D based material if legal for use in tour area.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Redbuds have heart shaped leaves.

like
The tube-like stem sounds very much like Japanese knotweed, Polygonum cuspidatum, although the leaves a more spade shaped than maple-like in appearance. Will generate groves and produces foamy white flowers. This is a serious noxious weed in many parts of the country. Do a google search under the common name - you will turn up dozens of sites addressing this invasive species and suggested methods of control. Not an easy plant to get a handle on, tho.
FWIW, redbud is the common name for a rather desirable small ornamental tree, Cercis species and cultivars. Solid woody truck and stems and hot pink flowers in early spring before it leafs out. Not typically considered a weed by most authorities :-))
pam - gardengal
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:52:41 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

And *very* easy to kill.
How do I kill it?
wrote:

pink
If you have had difficulty killing it then it probably isn't Cercis~~~ A desirable small tree, {Leguminocae] and not like your description. A photo would get results from many of us. Even a scan of a leaf is sometimes sufficient. Best Wishes

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:37:47 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"

I should have quoted all of Pam's msg. Your problem is not with Cercis canadensis (Eastern redbud), which is susceptible to several tree-killing diseases. Mine was the most expensive item in a landscaping plan, and just got sicker and sicker until it died. Even the ag college couldn't diagnose its problem.
This sounds very much like Japanese Knotweed. Quite the most pernicious weed ever. Keep cutting it down and fill the hollow stems with Roundup and eventually you will gain control. Do not try to dig it up~~just makes matters worse and every small piece grows. Best Wishes.

like

called redbud.

look almost

weed-killers
like to hear

Could be Giant Hogweed? Are you anywhere near a river or watercourse?
-- Gerry www.garden-guide.net ... for responsible gardening