Beschorneria yuccoides pollen swap

Hi Group.

Does any one have Beschorneria yuccoides in flower spike and could like to swap some pollen? Last year mine flowered and did not self pollinate so I hope to get seed this year by usining another clone. Flower spike about 6ft now and opening fast. Seems a shame not to go down the seed route. Any help appreciated. UK based. Alan

Reply to
TQPL

The message from "TQPL" contains these words:

You've posted to a mostly-USA group. You're more likely to find a UK response at uk.rec.gardening.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

You are showing your vast ignorance again, broccoli.

Beschorneria yuccoides is a Mexican species allied to Agave that is grown outdoors in the southwestern US and in greenhouses in colder areas. Pollen can be mailed from the US to Britian with no problems.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

It grows outdoors in the far south-west of the UK, in west Cornwall (and the Isles of Scilly of course). The local council grow it as roadside decoration!

Can also be grown outdoors in inner London, I believe.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Hi Janet and Chris,

Thanks for your input. I always seem to get the best responses from the friendly USA, so have been posting widely. Thanks for the uk.rec gardenening suggestion.

I understand Beschorneria yuccoides is hardy to minus 10degree centigrade. So that incudes quite a bit of the UK. Anywhere west coast. London no problem, south coast no problem and probably upto Midlands too.

The parent plant where my division came from is a multi crowned clump about 15ft across. growing in Hampshire. Alan

"Cereus-validus"

broccoli.

allied to Agave that is grown

greenhouses in colder areas. Pollen

problems.

UK, in west Cornwall

council grow it as

believe.

contains these words:

flower

pollinate

another

fast. Seems

more likely to find a UK

Reply to
TQPL

Chris Hogg30/4/04 7:50 snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

We grow it here in a very sheltered (by trees and a building) bed and last year went down to -7. I think it's one of the most hideous things I've ever seen but it seems to amuse some people! -)

Reply to
Sacha

So stop quibbling and send the man some pollen.

message

Reply to
Cereus-validus