Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

Page 1 of 3
Any reason why joint compound can't be worked into the soil to add in nutrients, like calcium, or as a way to control the ph of the soil? I have about 3 lbs of the stuff from a previous drywall project and didn't want to toss it out, when I could toss it on the compost pile or toss it in the dirt to break down.

have
dirt
I can say that old gib board is reprocessed to get the gypsum out of it & then sold as a soil amendment.
rob
what is in joint compound???
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:27:38 -0700, "Eigenvector"

its sold by the gram round here, or the bullet, not the pound.
rob
On 8/23/07 4:38 AM, in article fajgt8$mh9$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz, "George.com"

You're kidding me! The smallest amount I can buy is about a pint....
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:45:36 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

I didn't read the other replies yet, but I can deduce it is a reference to "joint" compound being the stuff which gets rolled up in rolling paper.
snipped-for-privacy@sakajawa.org expounded:

No, V, joint compound is used in wallboarding, it's what you smooth over the joints (yet another reference! <G>).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Well I know that! But the double entendre was too hard to resist!

tee hee. Actually, I haven't smoked a joint in decades. The stuff they have now would probably help me OD. They've really perfected the product.

thats a heck of a lot of oil. You'd need a BIG knife.
rob
On 8/24/07 4:25 AM, in article fam46n$bgk$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz, "George.com"

I can be so nave..... C
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:39:00 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Hey, naive is a good thing. I wish I was. Unfortunately, I can't unring the bell of life.
On 8/24/07 8:50 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

What makes this all so funny is that DS managed to stretch hard enough (pre cast) to put a hole in the wall. Which I now need either mend myself or hire someone to do the job and I was thinking it would be a clever use of any scraps if I really could compost them...
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:04:27 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

I see...you are WAY over the naive line, in that case! :)
On 8/24/07 12:07 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Yes M'am! C
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:27:38 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Here is the URL for an MSDS page for drywall compound.
It's mostly gypsum, here we buy that to add to our soil. It depends where you are and the condition of your soil whether it would be good or bad. In any event, nothing bad will happen if you mix it in with the soil.

Oops, forgot
http://www.cgcinc.com/pdf/MSDS/61-360-035_E.pdf

Thanks for the link, I didn't know the composition amounts. I was concerned about the EVA portions, but looking at the concentrations they're far too small to matter in the amounts I'm looking at.
So what is Perlite good for anyway? (so far as plants are concerned anyway)
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:57:17 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Nothing much. It is used in potting mixes to open the mix, to let air down with the roots. It's a high volume, low mass filler.

have
dirt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_compound
"The compound is a complex combination of water, limestone, expanded perlite, ethylene-vinyl acetate polymer and attapulgite."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate "EVA is one of the materials popularly known as 'expanded rubber' or 'foam rubber'."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attapulgite "It is one of the types of fuller's earth." "Until 2003, it was the active ingredient used in Kaopectate,"