Japanese beetles seem to have a color preference

We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst," which manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white to deep red.
We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

Bert Hyman wrote:

What colour are the beetles? They may get better camouflage from predators on some colours. Just a guess.
In wrote:

No Japanese beetles where you live? Lucky guy.
http://www.arbordoctor.net/beetle_20-_20Japanese_20Beetle_20_Popillia_20japonica__20_MO_2006_.jpg
Metalic green & copper-colored body, about 0.5" long.
No natural predators in the US, although my wife goes after them with a vengance.
They're relatively new to Minnesota and we inadvertently planted several of their favorite plants when we upgraded our yard and garden about 10 years ago.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

We get very few here- I have seen a couple. While I know they are mainly diurnal predators, I can't help but think the gazillions of dragonflies around right now have something to do with it. I sat out on my deck yesterday evening and saw at least three D-flies catch some kind of flying critter. Wish I had a good camera!
Chris

already this year. I don't think you can out smart them by color or plant choice. A plant they don't like one week/year, they go after mercilessly the next. They'll find something they like no matter what you plant.
In wrote:

We're not keeping count, but we do dump the contents of the jar we catch them in out in the alley every evening, and the pile is quite impressive. Apparently, nothing eats even the dead ones.

There are lists of resistant and susceptible plants in this USDA pamphlet:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/pub_phjbeetle04.pdf
It's from The Government, so it's Guaranteed Correct.
[So far, the beetles have stuck to eating only plants on the "susceptible" lists, so I guess they agree]
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Ever notice traps have yellow vanes. I put one out last year hoping to catch stink bugs. Didn't catch anything. Don't have many japs either.
Greg