It's not a Marijuana Tree, but what is it ?

Here's a hi-res scan of some leaves from a tree, about 25-feet tall, that is growing next to, and over, the sidewalk in a NW New Jersey town.

I cannot find this leaf pattern in my Audubon Eastern US tree field guide.

There are 7 leaves to a leaf cluster.

anyone ID it?

TIA, QE in NJ

Reply to
QuienEs

It is a laceleaf maple, most likely either an Acer palmatum var. dissectum cultivar or an Acer japonicum. Lots of different cultivars of both - very commonly planted trees. Obviously a non-native, which may be why you didn't find it in the field guide.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Just to be sure, dry out a few leaves & pop them in your dusty old bong :-)

Reply to
Jimmy G

Thanks Pam- gardengal for your quick and on-target answer.

A friend had suggested Japanese Maple but we couldn't figure out why it wasn't red.

A Google for other images and additi|> I cannot find this leaf pattern in my Audubon Eastern US tree field |> guide. |>

|> There are 7 leaves to a leaf cluster. |>

|>|> Can anyone ID it? | |It is a laceleaf maple, most likely either an Acer palmatum var. dissectum |cultivar or an Acer japonicum. Lots of different cultivars of both - very |commonly planted trees. Obviously a non-native, which may be why you didn't |find it in the field guide. | |pam - gardengal |

Reply to
QuienEs

A mail artist, Mike D., sends out pieces of mail with leaves laminated to the envelops. Because he'd frequently sent out envelopes with spidery maple leaves attached, the federal postal authority began to investigate him, & he would even see the post's criminal investigators parked on his street monitoring his comings & goings.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Not all Japanese maples are red leaved or even start out red. There are equally as many, if not more, cultivars that are various shades of green, yellow green, gold and even quite a few that are variegated with multiple colors.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I'm sure it's a japanese maple as well. Other marijuana look-alikes include Vitex and some other species - but vitex would be only marginally hardy in your area, and not likely to reach 25 feet in any area of the US.

Reply to
gregpresley

For pictures of a bunch in my garden, take a look at

- amazing range of colours and shapes.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

|>Not all Japanese maples are red leaved or even start out red. | |For pictures of a bunch in my garden, take a look at |

- amazing range of colours and shapes.

Reply to
QuienEs

It looks exactly like a tree I have that is called down here a Coral Tree for the color of the small blooms and the seed pods. Grow very easily from the seed pods, so I have several of these trees around the yard.

Reply to
Gloria Lenon