It's not a Marijuana Tree, but what is it ?

Here's a hi-res scan of some leaves from a tree, about 25-feet tall, that is growing next to, and over, the sidewalk in a NW New Jersey town.
I cannot find this leaf pattern in my Audubon Eastern US tree field guide.
There are 7 leaves to a leaf cluster.
http://quienes.home.att.net/MariJuanaTree-1.jpg
Can anyone ID it?
TIA, QE in NJ

It is a laceleaf maple, most likely either an Acer palmatum var. dissectum cultivar or an Acer japonicum. Lots of different cultivars of both - very commonly planted trees. Obviously a non-native, which may be why you didn't find it in the field guide.
pam - gardengal
Thanks Pam- gardengal for your quick and on-target answer.
A friend had suggested Japanese Maple but we couldn't figure out why it wasn't red.
A Google for other images and additional info, based on the IDs found in your answer, provided further proof and the point that some Japanese Maples turn green in late summer.
Cheers, QE ===============On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:45:00 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

| |> Here's a hi-res scan of some leaves from a tree, about 25-feettall, |> that is growing next to, and over, the sidewalk in a NW New Jersey |> town.|> |> I cannot find this leaf pattern in my Audubon Eastern US tree field |> guide.|> |> There are 7 leaves to a leaf cluster.|> |>
http://quienes.home.att.net/MariJuanaTree-1.jpg
|> |> Can anyone ID it?| |It is a laceleaf maple, most likely either an Acer palmatum var. dissectum |cultivar or an Acer japonicum. Lots of different cultivars of both - very |commonly planted trees. Obviously a non-native, which may be why you didn't |find it in the field guide. | |pam - gardengal |
A mail artist, Mike D., sends out pieces of mail with leaves laminated to the envelops. Because he'd frequently sent out envelopes with spidery maple leaves attached, the federal postal authority began to investigate him, & he would even see the post's criminal investigators parked on his street monitoring his comings & goings.
-paghat the ratgirl

For pictures of a bunch in my garden, take a look at http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/maples.html - amazing range of colours and shapes.
Great site Bill, thanks to you and Pam for the super education. I now know more than I could have guessed I could learn on this subject.
Cheers, QE in NJ =================On 29 Aug 2004 14:54:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Bill Spohn) wrote:
|>Not all Japanese maples are red leaved or even start out red. | |For pictures of a bunch in my garden, take a look at |http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/maples.html - amazing range of colours and shapes.
Just to be sure, dry out a few leaves & pop them in your dusty old bong :-)
I'm sure it's a japanese maple as well. Other marijuana look-alikes include Vitex and some other species - but vitex would be only marginally hardy in your area, and not likely to reach 25 feet in any area of the US.
It looks exactly like a tree I have that is called down here a Coral Tree for the color of the small blooms and the seed pods. Grow very easily from the seed pods, so I have several of these trees around the yard.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure