Is this a weed?

This year I used an American Meadow Midwest Wildflower mix for my wildflower boxes. Some of the wildflowers in the box came back from last year. Usually I can recognize the typical weed (I.e. a local ugly plant that shows up everywhere without being planted). This one plant I was thinking of pulling about a month ago got huge broad leaves kind of like a big dandelion. I let it grow and then it looked like it might be some sort of big poppy. Now it has gotten huge and it doesn't look like a poppy and it's taking up a lot of space in the box. I don't mind if it turns into something nice but if it's just a nasty common weed I probably should get it out of there.

Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

-- As of June 8, major planting operations have ended. Mission Accomplished!

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Possibly prickly lettuce:

SugarChile

That's Asteraceae and its definitely not a "Goldenrod" (Solidago).

Hey Lazy Koveleski from the planet Houston, is Solid ago the opposite of a hollow ago?

The plant looks more like some sort of thistle and its almost in bloom. If Marky Mark just waits a few more days and takes another picture we will actually see the flowers and know for sure!!!!

Mark Anders>

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Mark Anderson wrote: : This year I used an American Meadow Midwest Wildflower mix for my : wildflower boxes. Some of the wildflowers in the box came back from last : year. Usually I can recognize the typical weed (I.e. a local ugly plant : that shows up everywhere without being planted). This one plant I was : thinking of pulling about a month ago got huge broad leaves kind of like : a big dandelion. I let it grow and then it looked like it might be some : sort of big poppy. Now it has gotten huge and it doesn't look like a : poppy and it's taking up a lot of space in the box. I don't mind if it : turns into something nice but if it's just a nasty common weed I probably : should get it out of there.

: Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

:

like the dread Ox-eye Daisy, a part of their wildflower mix that will just about dominate any planting that goes into year two. A friend of mine ended up with 1/10th of an acre of this stuff.

it's in rich soil, it will put on a lot of vegetative growth before it blooms, much like Cosmos.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero =================================================================== On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

Reply to
Karen Fletcher

Not sure what it is, but it's only a weed if you don't like it once it's done it's thing.

Reply to
LeeAnne

It's started blooming today.

is a top down view and it's in better focus than that last picture.

It looks like a weed. Considering that most wildflowers are considered weeds I don't mind. I do mind when they're ugly taking up way too much space. I cut it back exposing a seeded area that couldn't germinate because this plant plopped it's big fat leaves all over. I'm hoping I don't have to reseed that area.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Tansy on steroids? :)

Pen

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Just as I suspected, Lazy Koveleski from the planet Houston, you are a born again crackpot kook!!!!

You wouldn't know a Solidago from that hole in your head.

May God have pity on your sorry ass. Repent, you dumb mofo.

Cereus-validus

I would agree.

Whatever it is, its butt ugly and you should yank it out!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

I don't want to see you go to hell. God is no repector of personalities and will accept you as you are. Like I mentioned once before to you, I think you are at the 'moment before the miracle" stage. You know their are are many folks out there who really are for you and would be appreciative of seeing a miracle in your life because they do like you. Until that point occurs, they are just going along with you. However, they do have your best interests at heart. God, on the other hand, is waiting and has freedom fo you. The difference between mercy and grace is that grace is "not deserving what you get" and mercy is "not getting what you deserve". That proves out God is no respector of personalities and available to all. Kinda hard to judge someone who wants the best for you and who will freely give it. =

Cereus-validus wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

So Lazy Koveleski from the planet Houston, Do you know that you have gone completely off-topic and that you have become a completely obnoxious bore of a pest. You are far worse than any garden weed could ever possibly be. You are a newsgroup troll. You can look forward to going to that special place in hell for kooks like you if you believe that is where really bad people like you will be going.

So how long after your nervous breakdown were you born again? Were you a drug abuser, alcoholic or some other weak minded, mentally challenged, self destructive waste of space? Despite your delusions of being born again, you know you really haven't changed at all.

Cereus-validus wrote:

Cereus-validus

But who care for lonely little Lazy Koveleski from the planet Houston?

Your god has forsaken you long ago.

paghat wrote:

Reply to
Cereus-validus

We will continue to lift you in prayer.

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Who are we? You and your multiple personalities?

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org... We will continue to lift you in prayer.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

My wife and I will pray for you and your wife and family.

Cereus-validus wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Oh my, Lazy Koveleski, you certainly are one of those self-righteous dudes that always has to get the last word!

Why don't you and your wife do something better with your lives like the hokey pokey? Only then will you truly know what its all about!

This should get you started. If you do it right, you might need to use K-Y gel!!!

Hokey Pokey

You put your right foot in, You put your right foot out; You put your right foot in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your left foot in, You put your left foot out; You put your left foot in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your right hand in, You put your right hand out; You put your right hand in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your left hand in, You put your left hand out; You put your left hand in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your right side in, You put your right side out; You put your right side in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your left side in, You put your left side out; You put your left side in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your nose in, You put your nose out; You put your nose in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your backside in, You put your backside out; You put your backside in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your head in, You put your head out; You put your head in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

You put your whole self in, You put your whole self out; You put your whole self in, And you shake it all about. You do the Hokey-Pokey, And you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about

Cereus-validus wrote:

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Yeah who are we? most of us prefer to poke pins into a effigy of Stanley and do a voodoo curse....

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski