Is my Christmas tree bad?

Page 2 of 2

the
tree
etc behind

Oh my god! Dead branches? Outside? The bastards!!!!
talking about them taking their huge equipment into old growth forests and selectively cutting trees. they leave the debris behind, which doesnt actually help with fire problems at all. anyone walked in climax forest finds the forest floor has very damn little debris or brush at all, can walk between the trees easily. any fire in climax forests has very little fuel and certainly not enough to light up the top of the trees. fire actually is required for germination of some tree seeds and can sweep thru old forests without lighting up the big trees. now cut out here and there, open lots of holes of sunlight into the old forest and all kinds of brush gets growing which is excellent fuel to get a blaze going hot enough to jump to the top. crop trees.... dont clean much of anything out, they mulch it right back in for nutrients until the trees are cut and sold. I got no problem with tree plantations altho when the "wood" leaves there goes the nutrients. in the temperate areas that isnt as much of a problem tho. Ingrid

etc behind

Not necessarily - I run my Xmas trees through a chipper-shredder and turn it into compost. There are also many areas in which there is a regional collection site where the same thing is done on a commercial basis. Another legitimate use in our area (IMHO) is to collect and sink discarded trees into area lakes, where they become nurseries for spawning fish and a hiding place for fingerlings. Our area is strongly encouraged to bring all its discarded trees to a collecting point for this purpose.
John
I did a powerpoint presentation on recycling Christmans trees and it covers the fish reefs as well as other applications. There were some cool pix of Huey helicopters airlifting trees into wooden bins off the Louisiana coast designed as barriers to reclaim coastline and then were vegetated.
B & J wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky