Is a "full spectrum" bulb the same as a "grow light"

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka horticulture light? UV rays?
I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...
thanks
On Feb 3, 12:39 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

So-called "grow lights" have higher output in red and blue bands -- IOW, the other bands have been turned down by leaving out related phosphors.

Anything marked "cool white" is cheapest and best.

Grow lights have their colours adjusted to make plants grow and bloom better than the same total energy in "white" light.
Full spectrum lights are intended to simulate sunlight with respect to proportion of different colours (wavelenghts).

Where a grow light would be devoid of green, the least useful band from a plant's point of view.

but what about UV rays?
On Feb 5, 6:47 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Should be none. All UV should be absorbed and reradiated at visible wavelengths or absorbed by the tube's phosphors. UV serves a plant no purpose, and in fact destroys living cells or damages their nucleii.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I am imagining applying sunscreen lotion to a plant...
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /

<snip>
That's not quite correct, but I'll leave it to your Googling skills to find out why.

Heh.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Awesome. Thanks, good to know.
thanks, dt
stuff looks good under a grow light. but a plain old fluorescent has teh same spectrum as sunlight, just not as intense or heavy in the red end. the photosynthetic centers use mostly light in the blue and some in the red end. save money and get cheapest and most intense. Ingrid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Feb 2, 11:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No extra light is required to grow a Pothos. They thrive under whatever light is available in the room. If you require lighting in the room then by all means but if you are intalling lighting for a Pothos, forget it.