Is a "full spectrum" bulb the same as a "grow light"

What's the diff between a "full spectrum" bulb and a "grow light" aka horticulture light? UV rays?

I want to buy a 9 watt compact flourescent grow light for my pothos plant. That fits into a regular light socket. where could I get that? 9 watts, small I know, it'll be right under the plant tho...

thanks

Reply to
dterrors

So-called "grow lights" have higher output in red and blue bands -- IOW, the other bands have been turned down by leaving out related phosphors.

Anything marked "cool white" is cheapest and best.

Reply to
Father Haskell

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1170481169.247011.274390 @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Grow lights have their colours adjusted to make plants grow and bloom better than the same total energy in "white" light.

Full spectrum lights are intended to simulate sunlight with respect to proportion of different colours (wavelenghts).

Reply to
Alfred Falk

Where a grow light would be devoid of green, the least useful band from a plant's point of view.

Reply to
Father Haskell

but what about UV rays?

Reply to
dterrors

Should be none. All UV should be absorbed and reradiated at visible wavelengths or absorbed by the tube's phosphors. UV serves a plant no purpose, and in fact destroys living cells or damages their nucleii.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I am imagining applying sunscreen lotion to a plant...

Reply to
Usenet2007

Awesome. Thanks, good to know.

thanks, dt

Reply to
dterrors

That's not quite correct, but I'll leave it to your Googling skills to find out why.

Heh.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

No extra light is required to grow a Pothos. They thrive under whatever light is available in the room. If you require lighting in the room then by all means but if you are intalling lighting for a Pothos, forget it.

Reply to
lwhaley