interior hedge

Hi, folks. I hope I'm dropping into the right newsgroup with this question.
I have an apartment near San Francisco with a big south-facing window. This window is on the first floor, so everyone on the street can see right in unless I cover the window somehow. I would like to do so by creating a sort of interior hedge: a row of tall plants in pots next to the window on the inside. Ideally, the hedge would be about eight inches thick, and sort of semi-permeable to light and prying eyes.
What would be appropriate to grow for this purpose? I've looked around a bit, and bamboo looks quite nice, and it is both fast-growing and hardy even in the hands of a neophyte.
--
Johan Larson Daly City, California

from Johan Larson <johan0larson8comcast0net> contains these words:

I once had a kitchen window that looked onto the street, with a big window and wide windowsill inside. On the windowsill, I had a long row of posts of sanseveria (mother-in-law's tongue)..the one with tall narrow leaves. From the top of the widow, I hung pots of spider plant. Between the spears reaching up and the trails tumbling down, it made a beautiful green privacy screen. (Also, I could easily move it all to get to the window glass occasionally for cleaning).
The only problem was that its also looked stunning from the street outside, so good that people used to cross the street to come and stand outside the window admiring it....
Janet

Sanseveria is a very popular variety, but it's not to my tastes. With its leaves like upright swords, it's much too severe. Spider plants are nice, though.
Johan Larson