indoor plant for stand

I'm really showing off my innocence in regards to plants with this question. I'm looking for a plant to sit on my phone stand. It is one of those metal stands, about 5ft tall, slim, with three shelves. So this plant could sit on the 2nd (middle) shelf. I'm assuming that some type of fern would do well inside? Ok, I'll stop talking about things I don't know about and wait for suggestions. So this shelf is no more than 8" so I couldn't go too huge. Thanks for any advice.
Dave

Some ferns can grow large (I have a fern stand with a 8 year old Boston fern that is huge). Also, I have a button fern.
I need to ask...
1. How much light/sun does the shelves get? 2. How much space is above the second shelf? 3. Are you looking for am easy-to-care houseplant? 4. Are you looking for something vining? flowers? colors? 5. Plants, even the easy ones, need some care. Are you willing/able to give some care? (If not, get an "air fern"--it requires no water, is dead but looks good.)

it is next to a window but probably does not get direct sunlight.

about 18 inches

that sounds good for a beginner

i'm open to anything.

heh, i'm willing to do some watering. I have a 4yr old that I think would enjoy it.
thanks for any advice,
Dave
These are good in medium/low light: arrowhead, aglemedia (sp?) Silver Queen, staphilia, philodendron, grape ivy, devils ivy, spider plant, sanseveria, peperomia. If this gets a little morning sun, try African violet. If there is no sunlight at all you might try "Lucky bamboo" which grows in pebbles and water. Most people water their plants too much--once a week should be enough perhaps twice a week during the summer months. Get a good large waterproof saucer.

Phisherman Wrote:

Hi Dave, Some great suggestions for plants. I don't think the space is tal enough for the aglaomena and there are two different types o sansevieria. One is tall and thin - Mother in laws tongue and one i short and compact - Birds nest type. You might also find these site helpful to id the suggestions and care for them.
http://tinyurl.com/4wqlg http://tinyurl.com/6p5dz http://tinyurl.com/6hsmq
Enjoy, New
-- Newt
Those are great links, I've bookmarked them. Thanks!
Dave

Dave Smith Wrote:

Dave, you are very welcome! Enjoy your new plant.
New
-- Newt
Went to fred meyers tonight and picked an ivy. It didn't say what type on the tag but it did say "hardy, needs watering weekly" which seemed about right for me. :-)
Dave

Give it a good shower with a spray bottle of water a couple times a week to discourage spider mites.
zhan

The word "hardy" generally means that plant is not a tropical plant and can be planted outdoors without any freezing concern. Like another post stated, take it to the shower a couple times a month to ward off spider mite and to keep the plant clean.