Identify Unknown Houseplant

Page 1 of 2
My grandmother gave me a start of a plant several years ago, but never knew what it was. It is small, doesn't have leaves, doesn't bloom, and slowly spreads on its own. To make a new plant, just cut a few 1" pieces off and stick them in soil.
I took some pictures to help identify it:
http://www.dnecentral.com/djw/tmp/plant1.JPG
http://www.dnecentral.com/djw/tmp/plant2.JPG
http://www.dnecentral.com/djw/tmp/plant3.JPG
Thanks!
It looks like it could be a form of euphorbia, perhaps Euphorbia mauritanica. Does it ooze a milky sap when you break off a portion?
pam - gardengal

I think that new Mars rover took pictures of a similar plant.
No, it just oozes a tiny tiny amount of clear liquid.

I think you will find that your plant is in full flower. very small flowers in each leaf/scale joint. Look like little specks of yellow dust. I am still trying to remember the name of the thing.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 05:40:40 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

I was waiting for you to post, Cereoid. Do you *enjoy* watching others flail around? Or are you giving us all a fair chance at a correct answer? I am *so* tickled when I can positively identify a 'mystery' plant. Think it's happened twice. :-)
I gave you all a chance to go first but you kids let me down.
It should have been an easy one to ID but you were all stymied.
The closest was Skirmishd saying that they thought it might be a Crassula. Very vague, especially when one considers that the genus is extremely variable with over 200 species in it.
Identifying plants isn't as easy as you all seem to mistakenly believe it is, isn't it?
Most people do very poorly at identifying succulent plants.
Don't know why but that's the way it is.
wrote:

time
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:53:53 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

*I* certainly don't believe plant ID is easy. You, on the other hand, are obviously an expert ('though very occasionally fallible). With the bezillions (this is the certified scientific number) of plant genus and species in the world, it's a wonder we can reliably ID a ginko! Those of us who don't make an ongoing study of plants are gonna forget what little we *do* know over time. I was once able to identify a dozen different oaks and maples from their leaves. Now I'm thrilled to be able to shout "American Sycamore" when a see a dry leaf. (I never did very well on bark ID.)
Most people have little experience with succulents, not to mention most of their (my) experience being with starts of plants called "string of pearls" or "Indian something."
Outside of your specific expertise, your admonitions to provide picures and/or to specify those details we once learned in biology class -- opposite or alternate; lobed, smooth, or toothed; square or not(?) stem -- are good advice to keep these queries from turning into endless wrangles.
Sucking up? You betcha. A lot cheaper than buying a book (outrageous expense) to have Cereoid on call.

Oh for heaven's sake, stop giving him more credence than he is due. Whatever ability he may have at ID is no mitigation for his unfailingly smug rudeness. I am more than willing to admit he has a remarkable ability (or so it appears - he may just be blowing smoke) when it comes to cacti, succulents or some tropicals - obviously his area of expertise - but notice how he is not quite so quick on the draw when it comes to woodies or perennials? He is not the slightest bit infallible and his sh*t stinks just the rest of ours. Stop deifying the jerk.
Pammy, sad Pammy. You are taking your severe case of penis envy to new extremes again!!
Maybe you should try blowing smoke up my pants for a change? It would be good for my perennial woody!!
wrote:

it
Whatever
so
notice
just
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:03:38 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Stanley Rukalski,
strikes again!
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 00:07:42 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
a woody is something the laughing stock of the CSSA isn't capable of!
How would you know, Fluffernutter?
Did you do everyone at the Vegas convention?
You certainly missed the floor we were on!!!

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 02:24:01 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

We didn't do hermaphrodites
You must not be much of a gardener because most of the plant you grow are indeed hermaphrodites, you dizzy wombat stuffer.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:51:51 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

Stop messin' things up, Cereoid, by top posting, but apart from that ... I'm not sure that there could be such a thing as a "wombat stuffer"!!
http://traveling.igw.dk/documents/oceania/australia/1996_australia_1/13_wombat.htm
Regards
Geoff

http://traveling.igw.dk/documents/oceania/australia/1996_australia_1/13_wombat.htm
Don't they serve wombats for Thanksgiving in Australia, Geoff? Maybe your daughter can help. ;-)
John
If top posting offends you so much, I will continue to do it!!
This time I did it with my pinkies up in the air just to appease your gentile fusspot obsessions with maintaining order out of nonsense, Geoffy.
So you have actually considered stuffing wombats? You do have too much time on your hands. Do you call it the plunder down under?
wrote:

http://traveling.igw.dk/documents/oceania/australia/1996_australia_1/13_womb at.htm
by the way, would you be willing to share a piece of that succulent for me to try? I love cacti and succulents. I have quite a few that struggle thru my dry house winters but then flourish once spring gets here adn I move everyone outside. (Geoff will attest to that one <g>) if you do, you'll hafta answer me thru Squire's e-mail as my computer refuses to speak to his right now and he's the expert in those matters. madgardener willing to share a piece of her "Cherokee pipe mystery plant" with you if you want a trade