Identify Tree

I would appreciate some assistance identifying a tree. I bought a house in Phoenix, Arizona, with several types of trees. Because we have irrigation from the canals, water is not an issue. I have mandarin, peach, lemon, grapefruit and orange trees. These were easy to identify (for example, the grapefruit trees had big ole grapefruit).

I used several tree-identification flow-charts on the web, but could not find what I consider an exact match. Here's what I think you will need to know:

  • Broad flat simple leaves
  • Leaves not lobed. However, I would offer that at the base of some of the leaves are little, tiny lobes about 1/8", almost growing "down" towards the stem.
  • Edges are serrated pretty much evenly.
  • Stems are short (about 1").
  • Leaves alternate one side then the other.
  • There appear to be three little buds at the end.
  • Veins are longer near the base, shorter at the top.
  • Veins start with two at the bottom, then alternate on the way up.
  • Base of the leaf is symmetrical.
  • I would say the base is not heart shaped, but it's certainly not rounded. Essentially, the leaf grows perpendicular to the stem, then rounds its way upward forming a broad base.
  • Leaf is smooth on top and on the bottom - no hair or fuzz.
  • Color is green (not shiny) and dull green on the bottom.

At this point I get pointed to some pear trees. The leaf in this picture is very similar:

big difference (besides not being red) is that the leaf is longer than it is wide. My leaf is just as wide as it is long. If you made this leaf fatter, I would consider it a match. A key characteristic is that the top of the leaf comes out of the round curve to form a little spike at the top. I'm guessing it's not a pear tree because they seem to have fruit in August/September, which is when I moved in.

It also looks like a redbud

that a redbud has a hear shape. If the leaf didn't grow "down" the stem but instead went out (or slightly up) in its curve, it would be this leaf (notice the tip).

It comes very close to Basswood and Cottonwood.

However, the bark doesn't match and leaves are smaller (2-3 inches).

The bark, looks like this:

branches are reddish, the bark of the trunk less so.

Anyway, I'm stumped! If you can help me and if I get another dog and if she has puppies, I'll name one after you.

Reply to
Jim Carr

Can you take some photos of the leaves and bark? Post them to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and I'm sure we can ID it.

Dave

The big difference (besides not being red) is that the leaf is longer than

The branches are reddish, the bark of the trunk less so.

Reply to
David J Bockman

I second the request for a photo or two... that said, your description reminds me of the Poplars. Several species in Populus have leaves as you describe. The bark may help you narrow it down. elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA

The big difference (besides not being red) is that the leaf is longer than

The branches are reddish, the bark of the trunk less so.

Reply to
Elizabeth

Follow-up Crossposted to a.b.p.g

Pictures are posted under subject Identify Tree. Thanks for all of your help.

dford.html.

the

y_white.html.

Reply to
Jim Carr

After looking at your pics, I like Populus Fremontii as a good starting point. As water is available, it's a good candidate for your area as long as it's not too close to water lines. hth

- elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA

The big difference (besides not being red) is that the leaf is longer than

The branches are reddish, the bark of the trunk less so.

Reply to
Elizabeth

Walnut Creek, CA, USA (To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Reply to
tbell