Identify these dense shrubs, used as a hedge?

We noticed some really dense shrubs forming a hedge about 8 feet tall at the beach near Wilmington, NC. I believe I have seen them in other places, especially around government parking lots. Very curious what they might be. I am sure some of the plant experts on here will know. Photos are here:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/ncstockguy/hedge-plant-2-beach.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/ncstockguy/hedge-plant-carolina-beach.jpg
In article

Take a look at <http://www.scnps.org/plantid.html
I'd hazard a guess it is related to laurel.
More below
<http://www.scnps.org/links.html By states. Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Anyone know if Eleagnus x ebbingei is an invasive?

On Fri, 9 May 2008 07:08:08 -0700 (PDT), ncstockguy

Looks like waxleaf ligustrum

could it be prunus lusitanica?
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/boga/html/Prunus_lusitanica_Foto3.html
or possibly eleagnus x ebbingei