Humming Birds

Page 1 of 2
The so called nectar in a bird feeder: Isn't that just sugar water? About a 4 to 1 ratio? Should you put red die in it? Is it ok to put it in the sun?
Richard

madgardener whose hummers seem to have gone to Mexico..............
madgardener wrote:

The ratio is 4 to 1.

USDA Zone 8
The ratio is 4 to 1. it might be, Travis, but for their fall trek to Mexico I make it stronger for them. They appreciate it too! <g> madgardener
Travis in Shoreline (just North of Seattle) Washington USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 5

I'm not Travis, but I'm curious, is there research to prompt such an opinion? Don't tell me a little birdie told you so.
http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html
Here's the recipe for artificial nectar (syrup): Use one part ordinary white cane sugar to four parts water.
It's not necessary to boil the water. The microorganisms that cause fermentation don't come from the water; they are transported to the feeder on hummingbird bills.
Store unused syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This mixture approximates the average sucrose content (about 21%) of the flowers favored by North American hummingbirds, without being so sweet it attracts too many insects.
Regards,
Hal
thanks Hal! <g> (no, the hummers didn't tell me anything. I watched them snapping up teeny little fliers and supping all spring and summer on my flowers. I never put any nectar or sugarwater out for them this year. they gleaned every drop they could from everything around my gardens, and before I could make up any supplimental sugar water for them, they were gone. and this year was the first year I've had so many! I based this on previous year's when I'd only increase the sugar in October just before they left for the South American regions for winter. ) thanks for clearing this up madgardener

Hi Maddy. Sounds like it might be an early winter. How're your wooly bears looking?
        Bill
says...

haven't seen the wooly bears yet. Last year they were one color........brown. Been watching for them, though. With the early snow in Colorado makes me wonder if we'll HAVE a winter this year, or if it will rain all season. I'd actually welcome some snows! When I spot the woolies, I'll let ya' know. maddie

Maddy, I know you mean well, but it's harmful to them to have it so strong. They only need the same or equivalent level of sugar which they'd get from flower nectar.

Nah, they're all here in Texas! I saw a bunch today at my feeder as they are migrating through right now. I see species I don't ordinarily see here.
booger! say hi to my little family of Rufus who summer in Dandridge, will ya? maddie

Okay, they told me to trill at you. It's pretty hummingbird loud out there about now. Thankfully, everything is still in full bloom so they have plenty of stuff to eat.
I believe the hummers who migrate through here are from north of us, the guys you have fly down through Louisianna and across the Gulf to Cozumel. They get a tan, then do it all again.
veet

I live in Maryland my question is when should I take the feed down.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and mine are gone.
Keith Corwell wrote:

I leave mine out year round.

USDA Zone 8
When you stop seeing hummingbirds for at least 10 days.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:59:50 -0400, "Keith Corwell"

Richard Miller wrote:

Yes. Water to sugar 4 to 1. No red dye. It is bad for the birds. If the feeder is in the sun it will go bad quicker.

USDA Zone 8

Travis and I are lucky in that we get hummers year around, I have pictures of Annas feeding from snow covered feeders in February. In the very cold weather I make the 'juice' 3 parts hot water and 1 part sugar, just stir till dissolved. I don't boil it, don't boil it in the summer either, I just don't make up mass quantities. Done it for years with no problems. No red food coloring, totally unnecessary and probably harmful. I also have duplicate feeders. While two are up the other two are running through the dishwasher. I use the Humzingers, easy to clean, fill, etc.
In the winter I do take in the feeder about an hour after sundown and set my alarm to get it back outside about an hour before sunrise when it's freezing weather. I got comments about some of my winter hummer pictures that I needed to adjust exposure. It was still o' dark thirty when the first hummers hit the feeders in the morning and I was taking pictures with a flash, the pictures weren't dark, the dark was DARK!
Val Lat. 47:42:18N Lon. 122:21:19W Alt. 5ft 2in (when fully vertical)
Please show us pictures? What are Anna's?

The Anna hummingbird. http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID0033763/t_4370982