How to keep raccoons away

Page 7 of 7

Hm, I would like to make my own slingshot. Where could Ibuy good rubber for it?
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
Russell wrote:

Oh for cryin' out loud....the top of the line model at that web site is thirty bucks and it has fiber optic sites. Live a little. Spend the money. But, the site also sells just the rubber bands, if you insist on being a shnorer.
Ignoramus15189 (ignoramus15189@NOSPAM.15189.invalid) wrote: : I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is : somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).
Here's the advice I hear frequently on "You Bet Your Garden" with Mike McGrath:
Dig a trench two feet deep around your garden, and put 6 foot tall wire fence into it. No burrowing animal burrows deeper than two feet. Use stakes to support the fence, and fill in the trench. You now have four feet of fence above ground and two feet of fence below.
Don't secure the top foot of the fence to the stakes. Instead, bend it outwards at least 45 degrees.
Now you have a fence that burrowing creatures can't burrow under, and climbing creatures can't climb over. When they try to climb, they have to hang upside down from the unsecured part of the fence, which bends under their weight and drops them on the ground.
The only way a critter can get through such a fence is by jumping over it, knocking it down, or going through it.
I've never tried this myself, but it sounds reasonable.
--- Chip
snipped-for-privacy@red.seas.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) wrote in message wrote:

------ In the ancient days they used a mote.
You had one around your castle... with a drawbridge.
Zebrin
that:

Check out an airgun: Not the Daisy bb gun many had as a child, but an adult pellet gun (www.straightshooters.com). Don't know about where you are but here in MA firearms are highly regulated to the point I cannot use one on my 12 acres, but an airgun is not considered a firearm and has very little restriction. Check your local reg because some U.S. states and towns, as well as other countries, do restrict airguns significantly.
Also be sure to carefully check your local hunting regulations. Many places, including MA, have an "exemption" to the hunting season rules that give property owners the right to destroy wildlife in the act of causing damage or threatening personal safety.
Good luck.

Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

That's interesting. Our town justice used to be my son's baseball coach, so we had lots of time to shoot the breeze. Once, I was having serious problems with a couple of dogs destroying vegetable plants (digging within the garden). The judge told me that as long as I did not violate firearms laws, it was legal to "reeducate" (i.e.: kill) such dogs. A couple of people who are not in a position to know these things argued with me about this, and asked me to confirm it. I was unable to find this in our town's statutes. Perhaps it's a NY state statute. I believe what the judge told me, but still....it's interesting to know where these things are written, for both practical AND historical reasons.
Did a quick search. Your town justice had it right. Here is the URL for the applicable NY state reg, section 11-0523: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/damage.htm

http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9
(rot13) wrote:
I am reminded of a neighbor of mine who found a couple large stray dogs in his yard. He called animal control and asked them to come and pick up the dogs. They told him that they were unable to come to his house. He replied that that was no problem, he would simply shoot the dogs. They told him that it was against the law. He explained that the stray dogs were attacking his dog and he would shoot the strays as a means of protecting his dog.
The animal control people arrived within ten minutes.
Dick

This reminds me of a neighbor a few years ago when he saw two kids breaking into his storage building. When he called the police he was told they didn't have a car ton send right away, but would get there when they cvould. He called them back in a couple of minutes and told them not to hurry that he just shot the two intruders. They show up in about 3 minutes and caught the two kids. The police ask why he lied about shooting the kids. He said well I got lied to by you when you said you had no car to send out.

Sounds like Krispy Kreme syndrome.
<snip>

charged?

Why not? Flimsier excuses have been used to justify more obvious crimes.
Would it have been better to just shoot the kids? You don't have to kill them, just a couple of bullets in the legs. They'll have a harder time stealing next time, gimping around being crippled and what not. Of course if you're a bad shot and hit one in the head, save it for the judge.
Are you sure it is raccoons? We have a fairly large veggie garden and there are lots of raccoons around, but they don't damage the veggies. Des
message @ @

,34);}
On 10 May 2004 13:54:25 GMT, someone wrote:

racoons in the neighborhood not to go in the traps. But that won't keep them out of your garden.
You sure this aint just a troll????
-v.