How to keep raccoons away

Page 6 of 7
says... <
< <> says... <> < <> <> <snip> <> <I'm pretty sure it takes more than 9v to scare off a racoon. So how much <> <voltage would you use that would do the job but not hurt the child? I <know <> <you can die from as little as 50v. Even less if you got imaginative. <> < <> < <> < <> <> Voltage doen't kill you, current does. You get hit a lot of <> voltage when zapped with static electricity, but very little <> current. < <Yes but they dont use static electricity in electric fences, do they? < < <
Electricity is electricity. Lightning is static electricty, but I wouldn't want to get hit with it.
        Bill

much
No, there's a difference. A static charge of 1000v will (in most cases) dissipate so quick you barely hear the snap, where 1000v ac or dc will kill you more than likely. Now that I think of it some, it may be that they *do* use static electricity for fences. Looked up electric fence on the internet. What I read doesnt explicitely say static charge, but they are talking about powering it with a low voltage battery so that does kind of imply a short lived charge.
says... <
< <snip> <> <> Voltage doen't kill you, current does. You get hit a lot of <> <> voltage when zapped with static electricity, but very little <> <> current. <> < <> <Yes but they dont use static electricity in electric fences, do they? <> < <> < <> < <> <> Electricity is electricity. Lightning is static electricty, but I <> wouldn't want to get hit with it. < <No, there's a difference. A static charge of 1000v will (in most cases) <dissipate so quick you barely hear the snap, where 1000v ac or dc will kill <you more than likely. Now that I think of it some, it may be that they *do* <use static electricity for fences. Looked up electric fence on the <internet. What I read doesnt explicitely say static charge, but they are <talking about powering it with a low voltage battery so that does kind of <imply a short lived charge. < < <
Your static charge is DC. It's the same as the charge stored in a capacitor. It just happens to be created by friction instead of a battery or other mechanism. The zap you feel when you get charged up shuffling across a carpet then touching a door knob is just the electrons flowing from you to the door knob hence DC. It doesn't kill you because there isn't a lot of current flow for a long period of time.
"Ampere. The unit of electrical current. Also milliamp (one thousandth of an amp) and microamp (one millionth of an amp). One amp corresponds to the flow of about 6 x 1018 electrons per second."
So 1000v that only produces current flow for a millisecond is going to be felt, but that's about it because as soon as the current starts flowing there's nothing to keep it flowing and the voltage drops quickly. When you get hit with 1000v with a power source behind it that can keep the current flowing with out the voltage dropping your in deep doodoo.
For the sake of argument, lets say your body equals 100 ohms of impedance: 1000v /100 ohms = 10 amps but since amps are a function of current over time and current flowed only for 1 millisecond you have to divide 10 amps by 1000 and get 10 milliamp equivalent. Enough to get your attention for sure. But rarely if ever fatal.
See:     http://www.t2.unh.edu/spring99/pg4.html
for the effects of rising levels of current flow.
The fences probably use a capactive discharge circuit.
        Bill

kill
*do*
Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say.

This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe.

Disagree all you want, but he's right. It's a DC voltage that decreases as it's discharged through a resistance (you), just like any other DC voltage.

...which is also DC, just like a static charge or lightning, but somewhat between the two.
"Adam Russell" | > | > Your static charge is DC. | | Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it | is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say. | | > The fences probably use a capactive discharge circuit. | | This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe.
As a retired EE : DC means only direct current (as compares to alternating current) it does not mean unchanging. (an over simplified example: If you car has a volt meter watch it when the motor is off and when the motor is running.)
says... < <> < <> <> Your static charge is DC. < <Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it <is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say. < <> The fences probably use a capactive discharge circuit. < <This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe. < < <
No, DC means Direct Current as in flowing only in one direction. Under your definition, batteries aren't DC because eventually they go dead.
        Bill

Static electricity _is_ DC. The power in lightning will be higher than you get from rubbing your feet on the rug, because the current is higher, but the voltage may very well be the same. It's all about joules (power over time).

The cattle fences that I grew up with sent very short pulses about once a second, at several thousand volts, and some really low amperage. And if you're getting zapped by electricity, it's not static anymore...

*** Next time your aldermen or county council meets for budget deliberations, show up. When the animal control people put in for their appropriation, point out their dereliction of duty. Pack the gallery with your supporters if you can, with the press if they will send a reporter. Democracy in action.-Jitney
"jitney" <> wrote in message > Next time your aldermen or county council meets for budget

And you'll be laughed right out of the building. The AC people are hired. They do what they're told to do, they pick up what they're allowed to pick up. The aldermen are ELECTED. They are the ones who need to change the policy if the AC don't pick up wildlilfe. I used to be an animal control officer which usually means a glorified dog catcher. I was paid to pick up stray PETS. Because I also was a wildlife rehabilitator they said I could pick up wildlife but wouldn't get paid for it. Only reason I could legally pick up wildlife is because of my rehab license. Sue Northern Wisconsin

When I caught a possum in a county supplied trap, the animal control folks said that they would come out and kill it and take the dead body. They would not accept a trap with a live wild critter. (They supplied the traps to capture CATS.)
So I told them to kill the animal. I was gone when they came but the critter was gone and there was some sticky blood left on the trap.

EZ way to get rid of the coon is to take it (in the trap!) to your local coon dog hunter. It'll help train his dogs to coons.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

local
I'm admittedly not fully awake yet, but I can't seen to find "coon dog hunter" in the yellow pages. Maybe under hobbies.....no. Furs?

country". The access to garbage and pet food and lack of real predators has caused a population explosion. The ****ONLY**** method that will work and work well is to install an electric wire. It's cheap enough since you already have the fencing. You'll need the standoffs for a wire around the bottom and one around the top. You can probably do it for less than $75 with stuff you can buy at the co-op.

Might want to give one of those electric-eye-operated sprinklers a shot. I've used 'em to keep cats out of flowerbeds and herons out of small ponds. Never tried with raccoons, but not too many animals (except ducks) like to be squirted with a stream of water.
Get a bobcat. (a real bobcat, not the tractor kind.)
Hope this helps, :-) Bob
Ignoramus15189 wrote:

Flippin' governments. Take the fun out of everything. ;-)

yep, I was thinking about setting up a sniper nest in my master bedroom bathroom, but my hopes were dashed. I have a "security light"that comes on when raccoons visit, so that shooting at them at night would be quite easy. But, I do not want to have gun violations on my record.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- @ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @ char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()         "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Russell wrote:

I know just one person who is so accurate with a slingshot that I wonder sometimes if what I'm watching was digitally altered. Years of practice, I guess.
www.slingshots.com