How to keep raccoons away

Page 3 of 7

You see, my spouse would never agree to it no matter what physics based explanations I offer.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
(rot13)

Although I know the electric fence would not be a problem, your wife's opinion is understandable. The mother bear instinct is cool. I only wish human mothers would behave like bear mothers right down to the gory details. That would take care of SO many "people who should be eliminated", keeping George Carlin's criteria in mind as I say that. Based on these criteria, I can recall at least 3 idiots who would've had their faces & throats removed by my wife, when she felt our son was endangered. Sigh....sadly, she's a Unitarian. Too peaceful.
that:

I hear ya, but things do sometimes change. My wife would never agree to any kind of gun around, until she chased a fox away from her hen house. Then I discovered that our state laws were such that an air rifle was the only practical solution. Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

Is it an ego thing, or is there some other reason you don't want to enlist your local animal control people? The process you're describing might be more educational than you think, but not for the right reasons. Your son might learn how boring it is to sit around holding your dick in an emergency room for 3 hours while they take care of victims of car crashes & gunshots.
You didn't say how large your garden is, but if the 'coons are attacking just a few things, you could try sprinkling cayenne powder on the leaves and the soil around those plants. Works great for keeping cats out of the garden, or from scratching furniture.

I hate spending money on various contractors. Hiring contractors is an unbelievable waste of time and money.

roftlmao, I hope to avoid it.

does it actually work? I kind of like the idea.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

Are we on the same planet? I'm referring to your TOWN'S animal control department. I've never heard of those people charging a citizen for removing an animal.

Try it yourself. Sprinkle some on the counter and press your paws into it. Now, rub your eyes, pick your nose, and if you're really brave, go take a leak. If there's enough sweat on your hands to cause the essence of the powder to be released, your pecker will be in a world of hurt for a few hours. If you like the results, head over to a supermarket that sells spices in the bulk department. Lock & load!

Oh, I see. I became confused. I called animal control department of our village a couple of weeks ago, and they said that they would not help with raccoons.

Okay, I like this idea actually, as it seems practical.
My thinking is, buy this cayenne pepper powder, get some food leftovers, sprinkle with CPP, and leave for raccoons to try. That could probably dissuade them from visiting my property. I could use CPP on my garbage bins, as well.
I would rather not sprinkle CPPon the garden, as my son plays with it (he "owns" some of the plants and likes to sprinkle water on the garden). But, if raccoons are smart enough to avoid a whole yard if they have enough trouble on it, I will be fine!
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

Perhaps they'll only help with raccoons if they're spotted during the day, which usually means they're rabid.
On 10 May 2004 18:18:55 GMT, Ignoramus15189

They won't let you shoot 'em, but they also won't take care of them for you? That's inconvenient.

That or you'll find that they like it ;)

Let us know how it turns out. Might end up with a bunch of chilihead racoons.

Where I live (a little north of Seattle, Washington) you have to pay for this service unless you can show they are injured or diseased. I had a family of 4 destroying my ponds last year and was told to either live with it or pay the cities subcontractor $300 to remove them. And keep paying about $75 per animal after that as new ones arrived to fill the created void.
Tony

Yikes. Things have gotten out of hand in the big cities.
Anthony Aversano wrote:

THAT sucks! Ya'll should pay more taxes. :)
amy

It's not unheard of. We had a baby raccoon trapped in our garage behind pegboard last summer. The town wouldn't touch the situation and referred us to a private contractor. Cost us $145 to have the guy take it out and release it in our yard.
BTW, after seeing how pi$$ed off that animal was, there's no way I'd try to release one from a trap myself. And this was a raccoon that was only about 3 months old. Better left to professionals.
--
JennP.

I'd have spent a dollar on letting the car idle for a half gallon of gas, or so, then removed the carcass.....
Mark (just trying to save you $144 next time) Dunning

On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:16:52 GMT, "mark dunning"

reading in misc.rural.
fun part is that depending on how new the car is, that might not work. since about 1995, the car computers have been smart enough to stop the engine when the oxygen level falls below 16% or so...and with the modern cat cons, that might not have the carbon monoxide level high enough for more than a head ache.
ck
--
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)

C = 12, O = 16, N = 14
CO = 28, O2 = 32, N2 = 28
R, Tom Q.
"Tom Quackenbush"
| > I should also mention that CO is heavier than O2 so the atmosphere | >at the bottom of the rat hole will be have increasingly concentrated CO | >levels. If all else fails the critter will have one h*ll of a head ache. | | C = 12, O = 16, N = 14 | | CO = 28, O2 = 32, N2 = 28
The real world physics/dynamics is not quite that simple but sufficient to say CO is heavier than air and will settle to the lowest level i.e. the bottom of the rat hole.
Not Me wrote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of CO2?
Carbon monoxide is obviously lighter than air (but not by much). If you don't believe me, Google for "carbon monoxide lighter air".
R, Tom Q.

If you work out Van der Waal's equation: http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch4/deviation5.html
at 1 atm and 20C, I get
02 1 mol / 2.74 L N2 1 mol / 2.74 L CO 1 mol / 2.73 L CO2 1 mol / 2.49 L
making CO2 the most dense (unless I solved the equation wrong which is entirely likely: v^3 - bv^2 = av - ab - RT = 0).
The difference between CO and O2 doesn't seem remarkable enough to be significant, but I guess at greater concentrations it'd be workable. I think you'd be more likely to kill yourself than the rat, though.
[I'm not a chemist or physicist, so all this could a bunch of hokey.] (rec.gardens)