How do you propagate wild violets?

I just love these freckled ones I found yesterday growing in my yard. I will go out and see if I can find them again and mark around them so they don't get mowed.

What do I do to propagate more or can I do it? Wait for them to make seeds? I suppose I could google the answer, but wonder if any of you have done anything like that. I don't want to risk transplanting them and think there's just one plant of those. At the west, close to neighbor's, and partly shaded side of the house, there are purple ones, white ones, and these freckled ones, all just sprang up there naturally.

I Love Lucy

please.....i DO believe the question SHOULD BE: how do you keep indigenous violets from propagating??

although, i must say i am grateful to them....if not for them, i'd have lawn (blecccchhhh!!); now, instead, i have 3 different coloured indigenous (native) violets and they're pretty and they smell wonderful; but best of all: grasshopper, japanese beetle, and rose chafer larvae do NOT overwinter by eating their roots as does happen with grass roots! (hrm....i wonder if there's a group with that name?) j/k, j/k....gee, can't you guys take a joke??

Reply to
RAINDEAR

Oh, one of those :-) I look forward to seeing them in the spring. Maybe they can become a nuisance. I went out and marked the speckled ones, hoping I can collect some seeds and keeping them from getting mowed over.

Yes :-). So that's what's been happening to my grass. I had to buy a bunch of seed yesterday :-). Won't ask how you grow that on a dry and dusty terrace. I'll figure something out. Sure don't want to put burlap out with stakes in it to hold in place though.

That was cute!

Reply to
I Love Lucy

I like the as well and encourage them wherever i find them, transplating them to where i'd like them the most.

Personally, if I were you, I'd dig up a few of the specked and whites ones and mail them to me... I mean put them in a pot to give them the best conditions they can. Once they fill the pot, scatter them around the yard. It might be that the speckled ones are a hybrid of the purple and white varieties, in which case vegetative division is your most certain option. I don't know if the rhizomes can be cut to split the plant.

We've been converting the entire front yard to a flower bed... if the violets can work with the sedum to make a natural groundcover, i'd be happy. (but then, I hate grass. ;) (we just bought 33 6packs of violets at $.60 each... woo hoo! course, now I have to plant them.)

We only have purple ones, though... I'm only half kidding about mailing the colors other than purple. ;) (I'd send postage and such via paypal of course...)

ooo.. the confererate violet is pretty:

Philip Lewis

I think I will try that because I tried to find a little info on the net and gathering the seeds at the right time and preserving them correctly until fall might be tricky. I didn't find anything about rhizomes, but I'll be doing well to get my neighbor some of those lily of the valley ones in the fall that are growing in the crack of my sidewalk. I wish one of those would mutate into something interesting. And I've got a Queen Elizabeth rose from years ago that died back to the rootstock and puts out those dark red blooms. The thing has gone absolutely nuts; if I don't tack it to a trellis or the house, it will be up to the roof by next year.

These I can't remember if I've seen in seed catalogs. I'm sure they aren't that unusual, but I've found five plants out there and want to preserve them, if possible. I've let some unusual mutants slip through my fingers, one was a viola that was pale yellow with a pale blue border. Another was a totally weird dandelion. Can't think what plant to compare it to and don't care for dandelions, but it might have cured something. It had a short stem, compact leaves, was long and thick in one flower if you can call it that.

I just got a notice from paypal thanking me for my order for a computer to the tune of $1175 USD, to be shipped to some guy in Palm Bay, Florida with an unconfirmed address (better not name him or give the street address). Problem is I cancelled my paypal account several months back for this very reason. I tried to log in and was blocked, so I don't know what is with that, reported it, an exercise in futility, and will check my charge card and bank account to make sure somebody hasn't stolen my id.

I also asked paypal for my password and haven't heard back.

Oh, and thanks for the idea to pot them.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

produce two different types of flowers: chasmogamous and cleistogamous. Chasmogamous flowers are borne on long stalks and range in color from light blue to deep purple. These flowers are the familiar, showy flowers normally associated with violets, however, in some species they are sterile and do not produce viable seed. The second type, cleistogamous flowers, do produce viable seed but are self-fertilized without opening. These flowers have no petals and are not showy. They are held underneath the foliage and sometimes slightly beneath the top layers of soil or mulch. Homeowners, who often wonder why their wild violet problem keeps getting worse when they never see any flowers producing seed, seldom notice cleistogamous flowers!

Established colonies of wild violets are very drought tolerant, due to fleshy underground stems called rhizomes that store water and allow the plants to survive dry conditions. The rhizomes also allow the plants to spread, forming colonies. These extensive perennial root systems are one reason the weeds can be so difficult to control.

Reply to
Nicole

Lots of big words in that one, but very informative. I have no desire to control them as I like them. I'll keep that in mind because the dandelions are so bad I can't dig them all out so was going to have the Chem lawn people spray a couple of times. I don't want them to kill any of my violets though. That could be a problem. Luckily most of them are on a narrow side of the house which we can just leave alone with the spraying.

Thanks for all that good info. I'm not real confident in my ability to pot the freckled ones and get them to propagate. It's hard to decide whether to leave them where they are, try to pot them, or move them all together so they'll be more likely to form a colony of just that variety.

So they do have rhizomes like lily of the valley. That is good to know. They spread out faster though in pockets all over the yard so some of it must be from seed. Lily of the valley doesn't do that.

Reply to
I Love Lucy