Hot water vs Roundup

Page 1 of 2

I finally got around to dealing with an area, approx 3 ft circumference, under one of the water faucets, where the hose lies coiled (when it isn't sprawling over the lawn <g>).
I've tried various ground covers, but weeds seem to take over.
So I poured a couple of sacks of pebbles in the area; looks nice and neat. However, weeds starting to poke through. I guess I could p.u.another couple of sacks of pebbles...but wondered whether:
1. Pouring hot water over the pebbles would kill the weeds, but would it hurt the Princess Plant that grows in the middle of the area.
vs
2. Roundup, same concerns vis-a-vis the Princess Plant.
Your wisdom, please?
Persephone
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:59:33 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Poison Bad. Do Not Use Poison. Poison Make People Sick, Maybe Die. Poison Hurt Developing Babies. Do Not Use Poison. Poison Bad.
Monsanto Bad. Do Not Use Monsanto. Monsanto Make People Sick, Maybe Die. Monsanto Hurt Developing Babies. Do Not Use Monsanto. Monsanto Bad.
Pull the g-damn weeds.
Wisdom enough?
Charlie
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:22:43 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Well, if you at least made it rhyme...

Gawd......you make me laugh, friend!
Thanks, we need more of that.
Steve wrote:

There once was a man from Nantucket... who wanted to kill his weeds with a hot water bucket.. who got in a haste..slipped and severely burned his waist.. and was last heard screaming oh (censored)
Lar

Much better Lar, thanks.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:22:43 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Hi Charlie,
If you buy your food from the grocery store I wouldn't worry too much about the pittance of Roundup any of us might use.
Typical notill farming for corn, soybeans and now they have Roundup ready wheat seed too. Spray whole field with Roundup and either plant at the same time or wait a few days. After your desired crop is on the way up and the weeds are taking hold spray whole field with Roundup again. The seed/crop has been genetically engineered so it is virtually immune to Roundup.
There are hundreds of acres with in easy walking distance from me that have been douched with Roundup for many years now.
I've seen/read studies showing that low levels of Glyphosate (Roundup's active ingredient) can be detected in just about everything we eat/buy made from corn, soybeans and wheat.
Use it judicially, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over what we might do with it. Worry about the thousands and thousands of acres douched with it by agriculture...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Point taken, but protest I must. Seems a shame to even give one penny to the bastids.
I try and buy only food that has a chance of being non-contamintated, but of course, this a near impossiblilty.

I'm smack-effing-dab in the middle of the saturate zone, gazillions of acres in every direction, Rockies to the Apallachians, Texas to Canada and beyond. Northwestern Missouri.

Yep, and I remember DDT as well and the widespread use and misuse of that poison.

I do worry about the widespread use and give the middle finger salute to Monsanto et al. whenever possible. ;-)
--
Care
Charlie
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:30:58 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Hi Charlie,
As you probably already know, DDT is still in widespread use throughout the rest of the World. It did and still does work really, really well for what it was intended (shrug). It was way, way overused and abused.
I'm guilty of using Glyphosate. In some places it seems to be the lesser of evils. I try to avoid it in places that I plan on eating crops from.
Which do you suppose is more harmful. Spraying a bit of Glyphosate a few times a summer or running a noisy/smelly exhaust spewing weed-whacker every week. I hate those machines (and leave blowers) and only use them when I absolutely have to. Much rather do the trimming and weeding all by hand, but a bit of Glyphosate here and there can be a big help. It is about the only thing that I have found that can take out Grapevines, Poison Ivy and Autumn Olives short of a small nuclear device :)
I guess if we live long enough we will find out eventually one way or the other just how bad it is.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I think we already know, Leon. ;-)
I just hate adding to the load that my grandkids will suffer. Scares the bejeebers outta me and nearly makes me physically ill when I run the possibilities and see what they may have to deal with.
Hell, I'm not guilt free by any means. I angst over the fact that I contribute/contributed to this mess, and that my generation was on a roll, butt we let them whoop our butts and most of us sold out, or got tired and simply gave up the fight.
I'm gettin' my second wind, friend and I still "teach my children well" and the grands. They are paying attention, so I take solice that I have passed the torch.... when I pass.
Care and Peace, and keep the RWS clean!
--
FB-FFF-RAS
Charlie

Any long term studies by an independent group on cattle, swine, goats, chickens eating such tainted feed or photosynthetic organism with glysophate, including their offspring, their grand offspring etc.? If financed by Monsanto, the results are mute. Dave

MOOT
MOOT - A term used in the inns of court, signifying the exercise of arguing imaginary cases, which young barristers and students used to perform at certain times, the better to be enabled by this practice to defend their clients' cases. A moot question is one which has not been decided. So what did you really mean? That they are not valid? Or?
P.
(Sorry...I can't help myself...)
<Persephone> wrote in message > wrote:

Sure you could. It okay though. Moot is the word. Dave
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:37:29 GMT, "Dave"
<snip>

I have a hard time just finding stuff that I know I have read about before. Most of the studies that seem to have any merit come from over the pond in European Countries. There rules are much stricter than here.
We (humans) will probably be the ultimate test in the USA. Big Ag and Pharmaceuticals have our government leaders/enforcers in their back pocket...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I would have placed landscape fabric or plastic mulch over the soil before spreading the pebbles.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:41:40 -0600, Amos Nomore

Ahhhhhh.......you shame me with your politeness.
Poison makes Charlie......CRAZY! Monsanto makes Charlie.......CRAZIER!
Charlie
--
But we're never gonna survive unless
We get a little crazy

Your intentions are honorable and yes, Monsanto sucks the Grand Wazoo.
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:51:23 -0600, Amos Nomore

Great news, Charlie!!! This has taken too long to rectify and has global repercussions. Screw Monsanto.....
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

OFFICE:
announced
four key

challenged
intimidate,
Office
submitted
four
hire
farmers
replant
time. <snip>

Global, indeed. On another front, Monster-santo has been screwing poor farmers in Third World countries for decades. They sell them hybrid seed so farmers will have to buy new seed every year instead of taking their own seed and replanting, as farmers have done for millennia. No doubt M cuts deals with local dictators/oligarchs.
Monsanto also acquires the "water rights" in poor countries and makes people who used to draw from their own springs and wells BUY Monsanto water, when they can barely eat and send their children to school.
See Mother Jones article a few years back.
Persephone
Screw Monsanto.....