Herbs and Deer

Page 2 of 2
On 1/23/2010 1:17 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:

Netting works well too around some plants and bushes. They are generally browsers and nibble here and there and move on. Little things may deter them but when starving they will eat anything and die with a full stomach of food that would not sustain them. They will even climb steps to eat something on your porch.

My roses are not eaten, perhaps being surrounded with garlic helps. You'll need more than an herb to deter hungry deer--electric fence works well for me.

Instead of herbs, get a motion detector that barks like it's going for the kill whenever something (deer)crosses its path. One will work but two will work even better.
DEM

Ok, without a doubt, a tall, sturdy fence is most effective, but if a fence doesn't work well into a landscaping plan there are herbs that can help deter the megamunchers.
We bought a large rural property that came with a herd of deer who bed down in the woods directly behind the house. The first year we were here we thought they were charming...then they ate their way through a few hundred dollars worth of perennials & annuals I'd lovingly added to the front yard.
Everyone's deer are different, but over time I've discovered that if I surround most of my flowering plants with Rosemary, Lavender and creeping Lime Thyme, the deer leave them alone. Think big - larger herbs will exude more deer repelling scent while providing wonderful contrast to vulnerable specimens. Exceptions are roses and tulips - deer candy.
I also learned to lean heavily on annuals like marigolds and zinnias which my deer ignore completely. Daffodils & Iris of any kind are safe and as well as tough perennials like Shasta Daisies and Black- eyed Susans.
About twice a year we spray a few things with PlantSkyd (which my husband calls the bucket of blood) to deter the yearlings from browsing the day lilies, dogwood and hostas. Works like a charm.
After 6 years, we've made our peace with the deer & frequently field questions from longtime residents wondering how we keep our garden flowering with all the deer.
Just my 2 cents, Nancy T