"Heeling in" plants for later transplant

We are having a swimming pool put in out backyard and we dug up a bunch of plants including mature azaleas, to put aside for 12 weeks while the pool is finished. We hope some will survive and can be used in landscaping the pool after it tis complete. A local landscape company placed them all close together and pushed some dirt up around the bases, and adivsed us to use an osccillating sprinkler (not impulse), on a timer. Does anyone have advice on methods to help ensure the survival of these plants? Is any sort of plant food/ fertilizer of value? How much water should they get? Thanks very much.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Don't fertilize drought-stressed plants, which these will be -- a lot of roots got broken when they were dug. Prepare to baby them for the next year or three when they've been installed in their final home.

An anti-transpirant like Wilt-pruf might help.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster