Hardy Kiwi......Any Experience Growing From Seed?

Page 2 of 2

Disregard Ole Man Rose's disparaging remarks about what sounds like a fine Porter. He probably hadn't gotten the cork out of his breakfast and was feelin' a bit fiesty. Hmmmm, or maybe he had already had his breakfast...
Anyway, I do love Porters almost as much as Stouts. Yes indeed....a big hunk of smoked salmon and a porter, both smoked, sounds like a fine lunch to me.
Charlie
"Stouts" , now you're talking, especially the RIS's(think Bell's Expedition, Duck Rabbit's Rabid Duck, Old Rasputin etc, etc). Steve (Card carrying recognized beer judge) <Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

I've had Bell's. The only other Imperials available in my neck o' the woods are Rogue's and Samuel Smith's. Too bad, or maybe it's a good thing for me..... ;-)
Charlie, tryin' to be moderate now
You must mean hard to get in Southeast America, not Southeast Alaska. Alaska Brewing is based in Juneau.
Yep, we use alder to smoke fish. It's good!
Jan

Yep, I'm SE USA (NC actually) & that smoked porter is occasionally available in Seattle. Steve
(Jan Flora) wrote:

On Mar 17, 7:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

Yeah. The first time I met Americans I was working in a bar 'up north' during summer vacation. They always used to get ripped on Canadian beer. I guess the alcohol content was quite a bit higher. I don't know whether it still is.
Now you have me thinking about hops. Are there hop farms? I'm completely ignorant of this.
Dora
ups.com:

there are, but... hops farming is hard work & with the high (& subsidized) prices on corn & soy, a lot of hops farms are going to where the money is. we have 'wild' hops (NH had a huge hops industry in the early 1800s), a Centennial, & 5 more varieties arriving in April (we ordered in December to be sure we were on the list to get the rhyzomes. there's a shortage of availability there too) lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
(Jan Flora) wrote:

Yeah. The first time I met Americans I was working in a bar 'up north' during summer vacation. They always used to get ripped on Canadian beer. I guess the alcohol content was quite a bit higher. I don't know whether it still is.
Now you have me thinking about hops. Are there hop farms? I'm completely ignorant of this.
Dora
Most American hops are grown in the Northwest (Oregon & Washington). I would think with the current hop shortage & rise in retail price ($3.50 per ounce for the good stuff) hop farming would be quite profitable. Steve