HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE!

Happy Birthday to the Madgardener - 51 today, WOW! You've got a long way to go to reach me, but you've come a long way and sure hope there's nothing but good fortune, good health and much happiness in the years ahead. Keep those fingers workin' the soil kiddo. Hel

Hey Mad! As you continue the second half of your century, remember this simple lesson in life:
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.
He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between golf balls.
He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."
The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
"The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car.
The sand is everything else--the small stuff.
"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house, and fix the disposal.
"Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.
The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
TOM KAN PA wrote:

I have always loved this one. Happy birthday, Mad, and toss back a cold one for me!
Callen in Central VA
more like a glass of sweet cherry wine from Michigan that friends brought me from Meijers up in Illinois is wonderful! (son did show me if I put 14 drops of lime juice in a Rolling Rock beer it tastes much better..............) maddie
VA
<< (son did show me if I put 14 drops of lime juice in a Rolling Rock beer it tastes much better..............) >>
____Reply Separator_____
Y'all, NO, make that............Younz get Rolling Rock Beer down there?
WHY of course we do. You'd be surprised at the varieties we have at the local store............blows me away to see the whole case stretching the whole length of an aisle......................(and this is a super Food City, no tiny store, kinda like a really nice Kroger store in size).

beer it

LOL ROFLMAO! THAT was a great take on that story. Thanks Tom, and here's a hug to one of my gold balls..................maddie

simple
of
empty
jar.
golf
poured
between
recognize
favorite
your
your
for
your
things
checkups.
time
no
beers."
Thank you Helen...........I was insane outside yesterday on the deck potting up the remaining spring bulbs I found in a bag in my trunk.........the winds were blowing at about 30 mph, the wind chill was fierce, the temps dropped from a balmy 64o to 31o in about two hours...................I was a bit numb by the time I tossed the last bag on top of the dirt and poured the rest of the soil outa the bag on top. If they bloom at all will be a miracle........................<g> ((((((((((huge hug)))))))))))) madgardener up on the chilly ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

ahead.