Hanging pots Penunias

Hanging pots of petunias require much water, but how much miracle grow? Yestersday we soaked the pot (for 35 minutes) as they felt dry.

It is in a typical plastic white hanging pot with slots for drainage. Also should we change the soil or is miracle grow going to provide enough nourishment? Thanks. Bette

Reply to
Bette

Hi again Bette. As you have seen on my web site I have LOTS of hanging baskets (over 50 this year) and I like to grow the cascade petunias in many of them. As for watering, it depends on what you grow them in. Most potting mixes have a high content of peat and they dry out fairly quickly. Some of the potting mixtures have some sort of "moisture control" and they retain moisture longer. They are the ones to use for hanging baskets. Still, even with moisture control, I find that they need to be watered at least daily during very hot weather. I like to use the "slow release" fertilizers because they only need to be used several times a season. Later in the season (mid July in your area) it is a good idea to give your petunias a good hair cut. Trimming them back a few inches helps them develop new growth and you will have more blooms later on.

I am going out to the garden now (have to do some weeding). I'll take some pictures and, if I get a chance, I will post them in news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and, for some of them, on my web site.

Reply to
Bill R

Again thanks for your info. Very halpful. Bette

Reply to
Bette