Growing Sprouts

Hi Everyone, I have a problem with my sprout plants that I have never encountered before. Something has eaten the complete growing centre of many of the plants. These are well grown plants. They have been netted since first planted (deer and pigeon's ). Treated with slug pellets. The plants themselves look in good condition, until you inspect the centres. What could be the cause ?, and will they continue to flourish ?