Growing Cucumbers

: 7bit
I planted a Burpless Cumber plant on a treliss in early May. The plant is growing like crazy and has now overgrown the treliss and is expanding on the ground. Here's the problem. There are many blossums and cucumbers growing but they are very wierd. They are not smooth at all, but have deep ridges and sharp spines all over. Can anyone tell me what's happening here? Thanks.

The variety may be the key to your question. We get what we ask for. I like straight 8 and Soyo Long . I hope you have many salads!
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

Agreed, the variety of cuke may be the missing clue. Also, how far developed are they on the vine? My Sweet Slice cucumbers are ending up dark green and smooth, but started life as creepy spiny little gray goblins.
Some of the larger ones are 4-5 inches long and maybe a half inch wide. They look shriveled, except for the top inch or so, and the spines are very sharp. I'm wondering if they will fall out?

says...

Last year, I had some Ghurkens. As they got larger, the spikes gradually smoothed out into just being bumps.
If they are shriveled, perhaps they want a bit more (or less?) water?
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /
brsher wrote:

That's how cukes fill out: from the stem down to the blossom end, like blowing up one of those long balloons for a balloon animal. As long as the blossom end isn't getting soft and discolored (gray, brown or black), it seems that all is well.
You still may have a variety of cucumber you weren't counting one. That can happen easily. All the company has to do is mislabel a seedling and there you are. The spines may remain when the cukes are mature, or they may not. I can't call it one way or the other.
brsher said:

Just one plant? Perhaps the blossoms aren't getting fully pollinated. That can lead to some pretty weird looking fruits.

Do you think I need to get another plant? This one is already about 5 feet high.