groundcover/filler with hydrangea/camellia

I'm in mid-Atlantic zone 7, and I have a good-sized part-sun/shade foundation bed that needs filling. The bed itself is L-shaped, on a sloping lot so that one leg is ground level and the other is bounded by a retaining wall on a slope that drops a good 6 ft.
I have decided to go with a hydrangea and also see if I can get a camellia that will do alright in this location. I'm now casting about for ideas of perennials/groundcover to round out the space. I'd be particularly keen on something that either blooms late summer/fall (a rarity among shade-lovers, I know) or has a trailing habit that would look attractive spilling over the edges.
We've got creeping phlox, creeping myrtle, English ivy, Boston ivy, and barren strawberry in other parts of the yard, so I'd like do so something different.
DrLith said:

The only low-ish shade perennials I have that bloom in late summer/fall are Japanese Toad Lily and Corydalis lutea (which blooms *all* *season* *long*).