Grooves in trunk of palm tree

Page 2 of 3
Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:

<S>
I prefer the totem pole look myself..
Now, chop it down, grab a chain saw and have fun.. ;)
Sammy bin Snoozin wrote: <SNIP>
Looking at the bud and fronds it looks like your tree is on it's way out. Be careful, if you get a lot of rain and high winds it is going to come down. As for the base, I would not want to climb it to trim the fronds (Did tree work for 2 years in FL).
Dave FL
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.
Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.
If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Thanks in advance!
Sam
It appears to me that the tree is under stress of some kind -- the fronds are sparse and droopy and the trunk is quite narrow both at the base and from about 6' above ground all the way to the top. This may be the early stages of ganoderma butt rot, which is fatal and not curable. Check information and pictures at www.palmtreedr.com/problems.html. The next stage will include the growth of a ganoderma conch on the bottom of the tree.
Other things to consider which might have stressed the tree -- lack of proper fertilization, putting the tree into decline, or improper ("hurricane-cut") pruning, which removed fronds while they were still partially green and feeding the main body of the tree.

Going to work this morning I noticed a palm enroute that is very similar to the one in your picture. In this one, the fissures go from the ground to about 5-6 feet height. I still think this may be the early stages of ganoderma butt rot.
Info is available at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PP100
Included in their summary:
-- Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.
-- There are currently no cultural or chemical controls for preventing the disease or for curing the disease once the palm is infected.
-- A palm cannot be diagnosed with Ganoderma butt rot until the basidiocarp (conk) forms on the trunk, or the internal rotting of the trunk is observed after the palm is cut down.
-- Because the fungus survives in the soil, planting another palm back in that same location is not recommended.

I just

this was

see the

insects -

normal or

similar to

ground to

of
This fungus

preventing the

basidiocarp
observed
back in

Thanks, JR.
"The fungus that causes the disease is distributed throughout Florida, from Key West to Jacksonville to Pennsacola. It is also known to occur in Georgia and South Carolina." -- could be it I guess. I'm in Calif though.
I've had a call in to Ag Ext for several days. I was told that commercial ag problems get first prioirty and then home gardening questions. They really understaffed these days.
Them rapscallion Calif Ag Ext folks still ain't replied to me and won't answer their phone. Evidently all the county offices' phone lines are forwarded to the offcice in Davis. Jeez. Tomorrow I'm calling the Arizona boys and see what happens.
I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.
Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.
If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/palm.html
Thanks in advance!
Sam
Dear friends,
I have been waiting for a reply to both emails and phone calls to the Calif Ag Extension. Other than going there in person (300 miles) looks like I won't be getting any help from them.
Are there any sites on the internet that show palm diseases? Thanks.
Sam
[...]
+++++++++++++
When I did a google search using the words "palm tree diseases california", I noticed a few sites that looked promising among the 1,800,000 search results. I didn't even have to go past the first page.

Thanks, Joe. I did the same at first also. Unfortunately I could not find any photos of disease or pest infestation and I went thru at least 10 pages of links before I gave up. I noticed that many of the links were to the Calif Ag Ext at UC Davis -- which is impossible to get at reply from.
Sam

Try holding your breath instead, Doug Kanter.

You've made a fool of yourself, Joesparebedroom didn't write the words you quote. They were written by Sammy.
Janet

Good opening line for a fight but negative reinforcement is a poor pedagogy that usually leads to the teacher being ignored, and opportunities for future instruction lost. Moreover, iirc, Doug Kanter has been responsible for posting piles of filth in this NG.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Filth: Anything you disagree with.
Grow up already.

Yeah, that's the kind of negative pedagogy to which I was referring.
By filth, I was alluding to gratuitous use of scat language in a News Group that would be inappropriate for minors and spinster aunts from New England. You wonder about people who make a point of not being courteous, and how their parents must have treated them.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

I wonder much more about our society of spinster aunts who elected Bush/Cheney twice than I am concerned about a few language terms. Language is somethng people develop in life. It has nothing to do with parenting. If parenting had to do with the end result, I should be dead a long time now.
Just an observation.

I'm equally offended by your rape of what appears to be your native language. There might be children watching. You don't even know you're doing it, but reading above, beginning with "By filth...", you'll see it if you try.

So, I'm to guess that the pods got Joe, and all the dogs can come out now and use his lawn? Here doggie, doggie. Want to leave a message on Joe's nice clean lawn? Good boy/girl. Good puppy. I'm having forced carnal knowledge of a language? Sounds interesting. How does one do that? I'm not an English major and I'm not backed by an omniscient force so where's the problem? I dropped a comma somewhere? You do understand the meaning of the words coming out of my keyboard, don't you? So if we are communicating, why go retentive on me? If you want to be obscure, I applaud you. Obscurity becomes you.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

It's not obscure at all. Matter of fact, it's capitalized. I find that as obscene as you find my choice of words at times.

Give me a freakin' break. I can't add italics, I can't add diacritical marks and you want to rag on me for using capitalization for em-pha-sis??! Oy gevalt.
So you are a pod, or are you Doug Kanter, or one of the many faces of Eve? What's with the multiple personality thing? . . But I digress . . .
Looking back through your posts, he said, staring over the top of his glasses (no not those glasses, the other ones) I don't really see anything reprehensible. If you will recall, I qualified my statement with an iirc (eark??). Anyway, jolly good, well done, and all that sort of thing.
Now run along and make us proud of you;-)
Don't forget to clean up that mess on your lawn.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Remember: Children are watching.