Green Wall - Living Wall - Vertical Garden

Hi
I am British and currently live in China - I am doing some research into this topic.
My findings so far have been a little mixed but the one issue that is cropping up - Cost
Does any member have any experience of any of the above. Construction, maintenance, living with or just plain ol' opinion.
--
A Living Wall

A Living Wall wrote:

What do mean by 'vertical garden'? If you mean growing climbers on a trellis that is done all the time without great expense. It saves space, allows use of some spaces that would not otherwise be so useful (eg along a stucture) and allows higher planting density.
How high are you intending to make this "wall"? What do you want to grow on/in it? If you want to grow non-climbers, why is that? Where does the cost come in?
David

I've only ever seen pictures of such walls. They look great but given that they were always on either office buildings or posh houses I would imagine that the establishment and maintenance costs would be more than I'd be prepared to cough up for my normal domestic situation.