Gravel border question

Hi,
I just had a quick question - I've got a patio in my back garden with a border around it (about a foot wide) which I'm planning to dig down a bit and cover with gravel. The problem is I'm not sure how deep the gravel should be, which obviously effects how much I need to buy - any ideas on a recommended depth? Also, do I need to put any kind of underlay underneath the gravel or will it be fine just laying it on the soil?
Thanks in advance for any help Alun
--
Alun

rec.gardens:

If you put the gravel directly on the soil, it will eventually mix with the soil. I would put landscaping cloth underneath.
Be aware that you'll have lots of maintenance with a gravel border. It collects debris that's hard to remove. A blower is only partly satisfactory. If you use pea gravel, it migrates out of the bed, especially witha blower. I used white marble chips exactly ONCE.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement