Grape vine help...

Hello!
Two years ago a friend gave me a vine and I have no idea what type of grape vine it is. I trimmed off all of the growth last winter and just kept two woody horizontal vines. Now from this year's growth I have 6 or 7 vines growing off of those two horizontal vines. Not sure if I will get grapes this year, but do I need to "manage" these new growth vines at all? I have them climbing on a wired trestle and they are growing very quickly. Thus far I have not done anything to these new growth vines, but I feel that once they (if they) produce flowers for grapes that I will need to do "something". Any pointers or web sites with pointers, will be much appreciated!
so far your pruning is correct. leave 1 vine per 6-8 inches of those horizontal woody (pencil sized, right?) "arms". in other words, space the new growth 6-8 inches along the horizontals. I like the curtain method of training grapes. it is easy to learn and remember. Ingrid