Good source for Perlite?

I need lots of Perlite (Pearlite) for starting Plumeria cuttings. Problem is, at the local nursery I had to pay $5.00 for an 8-quart bag of the stuff. That is maybe at most enough for four 1 gal pots. It being light as a feather (hence not too expensive to ship), I am thinking maybe some internet supplier has it for a lot less. I did a search on "gardening supplies perlite" but did not find an internet store with perlite.

Is there a nursery in your area where the commercial nurserymen shop? My mom was a commercial grower and she shopped for supplies like that at a place that did wholesale and retail sales, but that was in San Francisco. I think you need to find a place that does wholesale sales, to find perlite in larger quantities, for a reasonable price. Look in your yellow pages.
Jan

Jim Caldwell wrote:

Jim Caldwell wrote:

Make sure you get horticultural perlite. Masonry grade has too much boron and will kill plants.

I buy perlite in 4 cu.ft. bags for under $15 apiece, and many nurseries around here carry these (check around, many nurseries do what you're proposing to and can't be bothered buying dinky hobby bags). For an internet supplier try www.groworganic.com (Peaceful Valley Farm Supply), but you'll probably pay at least as much for shipping as for the perlite itself.