Plumeria

Has anyone had success starting plumeria from seed?

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

A few years ago I was lucky enough to get 15 seedlings from some plumeria seeds I had. They are 3 years old now and haven't bloomed yet. From what I read, that's normal. I followed the instructions on this page

MLW

Mary,

Thanks for the reply. I planted my seeds somewhat like that except that I did not let the seeds set overnight in a damp paper towel. It's been a week now. The seeds looked link of "old" when I planted them but I'm told that is normally. I guess I'll soon find out if mine germinate. I'm misting them daily.

Thanks, Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

Good luck with them. I can't wait for mine to bloom but there's no sign of that yet on any of them. I gave a couple to my daughter. I'll have to ask her how they're doing. Mary

Reply to
MLW

I'm in Central Florida so all my plumeria trees are in the ground. They are doing really well this year. A couple of mine are 8-10 feet tall with very pretty flowers.

My sister has a large yellow plumeria that she has to trim all the time because it's near a pathway. She puts the cut pieces in her shed and just lets them sit there. When she went to get a couple pieces to give to my daughter, she found two of them were blooming. They didn't even have roots on them and had been in the shed for quite a while.

I have yellow, white, light pink, dark pink and rainbow plumerias. I think my yellow one has the best fragrance. I hope my seedlings produce pretty flowers, or any flowers for that matter. I will like them no matter what they turn out to be. What color is the plant you have?

The plumeria site I told Sharon about

a whole section about plumeria care. This is what they advise.

Before storage, the plumeria should be defoliated. The best way to do this is to cut each and every leaf off the plant at a point about 2 cm from the stem. If you don't defoliate, the leaves will yellow and fall off during storage providing a good environment for pests and fungus (as well as make a mess).

Store the plumeria in a cool to warm, dry, and ventilated area such as a garage, storage shed, or your living room. Temperatures should not be allowed to fall below freezing in the storage area. During exceptionally cold periods, for example below 25°F outside, a small supplemental heater may be required for plants stored in unheated sheds. A cool greenhouse is not recommended for plumeria storage because it will tend to be too damp and thus promote black tip fungus and other fungus problems

Mary

Reply to
MLW

Mine is pink and has a lovely, gentle fragrance. The brugmansia's out fragrance just about anything I grow.

Reply to
animaux

Here is another good site on Plumeria I found through the "Gardening in Arizona" forum. The discussions here is what got me so interested in Plumeria.

Sharon

I have an Equador Pink Brugmansia and another one that looks like the Peaches and Cream that Logees sells. I've had a hard time with these plants but both seem to be coming along this year. Last week the peach one was blooming. I don't get a really strong fragrance from either the peach or the pink flowers. Maybe I just don't check them late enough in the evening. They're really beautiful and I hope I won't kill these like I have other years.

Mary

Reply to
MLW

Mary,

I live in Arizona and would like to have my Plumeria in the ground all year also...once I have big enough ones that is. *G* Do you have to do anything different with them in the winter when they're in the ground....such as not watering?

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

I don't water much in the winter months. I haven't had to water much lately either because of all the rain we're getting here in central Florida. Things are growing like crazy.

I have some small plumerias in the ground and if we get the threat of a freeze I will probably cover them with old sheets. But the big plants are on their own. I let nature take it's course and hope something will be left when the warm weather comes back.

Mary

Reply to
MLW

I've read that once the average ambient temperature drops below 65°F you should stop feeding and reduce water to encourage the plant to go into its natural dormant period. So it sounds like you should give them some water, just not a whole lot.

GardenWeb has a plumeria forum that you might find helpful. I'm sure there are lots of gardeners there that know much more than I do about these plants. Maybe you would even find someone from your area who could give you some tips for growing them in your climate. Here's a link

MLW

I bought my plumeria stem at the AZ State Fair five years ago keep it outdoors (Phx area) in a container all year. Last winter it lost all of its leaves (first time it did this) but it leafed out okay in this spring and has been in bloom for the past month. I keep it in filtered shade in the summertime but in full sun in the winter. During last winter's dormant period, I watered it once each week but the container (15 gallon) has good drainage. A nurseryman told me his plumerias always shedstheir leaves in the winter and not to worry. Nearly everybody else here grows them in a greenhouse. -Olin

Reply to
omi