Getting rid of tree stumps

I have had four pine trees removed, but because of their location the tree people cannot use the grinder to get rid of the stumps. I would like to remove them without using harmful chemicals. I heard you could put lime on them. I could chop them out,but my wife does not like the idea ( possible heart attack). One time we put a wine barrel on top of the stump with some flowers in it, and eventually the stump rotted, and we could pull it out with our hands. Location does permit this method. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
tombates

Drill holes or use chain saw to saw slots in them and fill them with most any fertilizer, like 8-8-8 or10-10-10, add water, then shovel a little dirt on top. Works better than lime, but will take 4 or 5 years.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

A house I owned in coastal MS, the builder removed a pine tree in the backyard due to proximity to the house. The stump and all. I did have problem with old roots surfacing for a few years.

Like TomJ's suggestion. Try a longer auger bit on a heavy duty drill. Wouldn't hurt ot cut some of the major traveler roots out either.

Reply to
Dioclese

Soft woods like pine don't take too many years to rot away all on their own with no human intervention. I cut many large spruce trees on my property and the stumps were reduced to a hole in teh ground filled with rotting pulp within five years... but these are along a heavily shaded wooded path where it's always quite moist... would take twice, maybe three times as long in a sunny dry location. The spruce I cut were between 18"-24" diameter, you'd be amazed at how large a hole they leave, takes like two yards of fill.

There are various brands of wood digesting enzymes that will greatly speed up tree stump decay that are no more hazardous than the cheese in your fridge. But, if a tree stump is in close proximity to your residence, especially if at the foundation, it can easily attract wood eating insects (termites) to your home, then it's best to either dig it out or if you are unable then hire someone who can, do not leave them to rot.

Reply to
Sheldon

This also depends upon location, but you can try burning them out. A low, slow burn, using the limbs and stuff from the tree. Just burn it down to where you can cover with soil.

Reply to
snotbottom

thx for your content.

__________________ 'mens shoes uk'