Getting rid of Calla Lillys

We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire area of Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet wide and at least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the space for something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't work because they all came back again and keep growing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Round-up?

Thanks!

Reply to
Elisheva Bailey

Dig them up and send them to me!

Reply to
clc

Dig up the bulbs or heavily rototill the area when they first start to come up. Do this enough and it should discourage them.

Roundup works, too.

Are they Callas or Cannas?

Reply to
WiGard

I'll take the ones you don't want!

Reply to
Ricky

send them to me after you dig them up. give me a holler at me e-mail addy...............

Reply to
madgardener

Lord A'mighty! I can't imagine anyone wanting to get rid of calla Lilies! I don't think they're hardy where I live so the winter would get rid of them for me.

Those things are insanely expensive to buy, I think if you posted a "free calla lily bulbs, you dig" and people would take care of that problem for you RIGHT NOW!

Some associate them with funerals and so may not want them, but other than those few, I think most anyone who knows what they are would fight over 'em ;-) Wish I was close enough, and in a climate they'd like, I'd be right over with a shovel.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Well, if anyone lives in the San Jose, CA area, send me an email and if you dig me up, they are yours....They are currently blooming and are about 3 feet tall.

Otherwise, I'll try Roundup on a few and see if that works.

Eli

Reply to
Elisheva Bailey

Dig up a bunch, put in box, contact me and I'll send you some postage, I've got

5ac's of Desert land I can plant them in.

-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR

Telescope Buyers FAQ
of Dahlias Slideshowv1.0 $10.00 for Windows machines. Email: snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com

Reply to
Starlord

Dig them up and give them to someone who appreciates them.

There are many out there who would just love having them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Are you sure they are Calla Lillies? They sound like ordinary day lilies to me. What color are they?

Reply to
Betsy

This is a very common problem in New Zealand. Calla Lilies are the South African Zantedeschia aethiopica. They are frequently called the white arum lily and lily of the nile. They are frost tender and will grow in boggy conditions or even in shallow water. This site from the obnoxious weed site of the government of New Zealand:

this advice on controlling unwanted Calla Lilies:

Physical Control: Slash stems and dig out all rhizomes.

Disposal: Stems and leaves may be left to mulch. Do not mulch or compost rhizomes because they always resprout. Bury rhizomes at a landfill or dry and burn thoroughly.

Chemical Control: Spray foliage or slash stems and spray cut stumps. (i) Escort + Pulse. Apply from spring to late autumn. Rate

- Handgun 25 g Escort + 100 mls Pulse/100 litres water. Knapsack 5 g Escort + 10 mls Pulse/10 litres water. Mistblower 10 g Escort + 10 mls Pulse/10 litres water.

(ii) Roundup + Pulse. Rate - Handgun 2 litres Roundup + 200 mls Pulse/100 litres water. Knapsack 150 mls + 20 mls Pulse/10 litres water.

Recommended Approach: Isolate a problem area and systematically eradicate plant from the site. It spreads relatively slowly so the systematic eradication can be possible over quite large areas.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I may be wrong, but I think the point was she didn't want to DIG that much. Otherwise she'd probably have dug 'em out. My apologies if I was wrong!

Janice

Reply to
Janice

If you have enough for me too, I wouldn't mind paying the freight for 5-6 healthy tubers. What would you say to some homgrown moonflower and tropical ginger seeds? zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

If I had the time, I would dig them up and send them to whomever wanted them. The problem is, I don't have time to dig them up and was looking for a quick fix. However, the offer is out there....if you live or know of someone who lives near San Jose, California, please contact me. They can come over and dig away....

Eli

Reply to
Elisheva Bailey