Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

I went shopping this week to replace my old gas grill. For many years, I used a gas grill from Sears (small grill, low-cost) that used briquets that heated up and helped with the cooking.
Now, I can't find any grills that use briquets !! They seemed to have been replaced by a "vaporizer" , instead of briquets.
How does a vaporizer take the place of the briquets, or is this just a cheaper way for manufacturers to make a gas grill ?
Anyone have any comments or knowledge about this ?
I will appreciate any helpful comments.
Thanks !!
--James--
James Nipper writes:

Briquets were baloney to make people think a gas grill would work like a charcoal broiler. The temperatures, radiation, and distribution are quite different. Probably a health hazard to be putting all those particulates of silica and alumina from "lava" rocks into your lungs, besides. Good riddance.

I've used both types and now have the Weber bar system. The bars definitely reduce flare ups significantly, because the grease has no place to lay on and accumulate. As for flavor, I'm not sure I notice any difference between ceramic bricks and the bars. I'd have to try them side by side. Real charcoal does add to the flavor, but that's another story.
You can also get one of the cast iron boxes and wood chips to add to any grill that will add flavor while cooking.
Chet Hayes wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point in using a gas grill. The only difference between the gas grill and my gas range is the grill would sit outside. The whole point of grilling is to get the flavor that you can only get with charcoal.
What's next? Electric grills?
--
Warren H.

actually we have a metal grilling thing sits up on top of our gas stove. grills steaks great. yes, Faberware has had an electric grill with rotisserie for 30 years at least. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List http://puregold.aquaria.net/ www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.
Check out MHP grills. Great quality product
http://www.modernhomeproducts.com/index.html