gardens

My yard is on a slope. What should I do to make it a beautiful landscape.
foster wrote:

This site will help you out quite a bit:
http://www.laspilitas.com/garden/howto/slope.html
--
The Hawke

I have steep slopes (I planted grass, trees, rug juniper, azaleas, lilies, iris, daffodils, ferns, Japanese spurge, monkey grass, sage, wandering Jew, lavender, roses, and a variety of herbs.) The first year I had to deal with ruts and plants being washed away during heavy summer rain storms. But now everything is well-established. The grass (tall fescue) does an excellent job in holding the hillside soil. Plants near the top provide privacy. Flowering plants near the bottom are visible from many angles. I still have a few "problem" areas that are deeply shaded where English ivy is finally taking over. To have the greatest chance of success. select plants that do well in the area and conditions you wish to plant (native plants), rather than plants you think look beautiful.
foster wrote:

Which way does the slope face (compass direction)?
How high and steep is it? Can you work on it easily, or is it too steep?
Can you see it from your house and yards, or does it slope down and away? Can you see it from the street? Who will enjoy the landscaping on the slope, yourself or your neighbors?
What is your climate? Will the slope be irrigated, or are rains sufficient?
Is this a natural or manufactured (graded) slope? What kind of soil is on it?
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean